USC supplement: when I'm exposed to a new perspective

Bennyoooo 8 / 19 8  
Prompt: USC believes that one learns best when interacting with people of different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Tell us about a time you were exposed to a new idea or when your beliefs were challenged by another point of view. (250 words limit)

what means engineering to me?

I used to believe that engineering is about creating new things. When I worked as an intern in Soshine Technology Group, I first learned to create a 3D model. After I carefully studied the structure and operating principles of 3D printer, and taught myself the basic skills of a modeling software-Solidworks, I tried, designed and modified for a whole day. Then my first 3D work came out, a cube with different shapes on six surfaces. In Beihang University, I also researched Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for the first time. After trail and errors, I successfully assembled a four-axis UAV by myself and made a successful test flight. The feeling of creating something new gave me the best gratification I have ever enjoyed.

While enjoying the process of creating, I started to wonder: Am I doing like an engineer? Later, I attended the Science & Technology Entrepreneur Forum. A CEO said that engineers are versatile talents who build the connection between science, technology and society. I realized that engineering is not just about creating new things. Engineers detect problems in the society. While dealing with those problems, they are willing to arm their brains by learning knowledge in all fields, including computer science, math, physics and even art. During this process, they combine different sciences and technologies to create something new. This new perspective encourages me to absorb new knowledge in various fields and keep looking for problems in daily life, to be a problem solver as an engineer. (249)

Please give me some suggestions.
Jiang, what you wrote is a personal introspection essay. While I applaud your ability for self-analysis and your desire to learn more based upon personal experience and challenges, that is not what this essay requires. The prompt is very clear that the challenge to the belief, idea, or perspective must come from your interaction with a different person. As such, this essay, while well written, does not properly address the prompt requirements. You have to develop a new essay that touches on a moment when someone challenged your belief, idea, or perspective regarding something that you strongly support. Did he manage to convince you to change your belief? Perhaps you became more open minded about the topic? Or did you remain steadfast in your belief? That is the sort of discussion that this response essay should be presenting. Don't throw this essay away though. Keep it for another essay that it might be useful for. You never know when that might happen.

Home / Undergraduate / USC supplement: when I'm exposed to a new perspective