USC Supplement Essay - Statement of Intent for Annenberg School for Comm & Journalism

Mundah94 1 / -  
Hihi I'm completely new here, and pretty desperate for some feedback on my essays, esp since I'm from Singapore and well.. not everyone is interested in applying to the US :/ I'd really appreciate any critiques or anything, thanks so much !!

QN: All applicants to Broadcast and Digital Journalism, Print and Digital Journalism, or Public Relations majors must submit a one-page Statement of Intent, explaining their reasons for pursuing an education and career in journalism or public relations.

Perhaps the most often cited criticism about media and journalism is its complete lack of genuinity and sincerity, in its priding of entertainment over fact. I have to confess, though, that I personally am one who would advocate entertainment value over the "truth at all costs" mantra, as I am one for the glitz and the glamour. However, I am unable to see why so many consider the two mutually exclusive, and it is this indignance towards the constant bashing of the media that drives me desperately to become part of it, so as to reconcile (or at least make a significant attempt to reconcile) the two.

As aforementioned, I am drawn to the media and entertainment industry primarily because of the glossy exterior of which it dons, to the extent that I would say I find all things salacious terribly alluring. Then again, is it truly so wrong to be so enticed by such superficial - shallow, even - elements? From an objective consumer's point-of-view, I find that anything propagated through mass media that is not embellished in some way or another is ultimately uninspiring and, to put it bluntly, dull. As a journalist in today's media-centric world, one should be able to recognize the need for the occasional exaggeration of fact to draw audiences and well, profits. To quote a deliciously witty Oscar Wilde: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Though it is commendable of the many reporters out there who make the effort to report what is solely the "truth", at the end of the day, I for one would rather have an increased viewership or audience devouring my 'enhanced' articles and reports and subsequently gaining awareness, than be faced with a miserable number being aware of said event because of my staunch dedication to reporting base fact. Furthermore, it is not entirely impossible to exaggerate without distorting the truth. If successfully employed within the media industry in the future, I intend to work with that possibility as my mantra.

Apart from becoming a roving journalist though, I do aspire to branch into other areas of the media industry, especially in broadcasting. I fully intend on developing my oratorical skills and admittedly, I rather fancy the idea of working both on and off-camera. Often deemed a "people person" by my acquaintances and teachers alike, I am hoping my social skills will be able to take me places far beyond the usual scope of one working within the media - hosting and broadcasting on both radio and television, namely. I have always felt a pull towards the media; growing up I took on the tasks of crafting and directing videos for inter-class competitions and montages, so that video-producing (read: television and film) is a little side passion of mine that I also hope to explore when I enter the media industry. That said, I am also keen on photography - the ability of the camera to preserve and immortalise treasured moments has fascinated me since childhood. My parents encouraged this interest of mine, which led to my having collected an impressive number of cameras over the years - ranging from the bulky dinosaurs of the 1990s (that I still keep protected in boxes of silicon beads) to the quirky film cameras that have made their comeback (with a twist!) with the youth of today.

Basically, what I am trying to put across (if I have not already successfully done so) is that I have always felt a connection to all things media-related, and to not enter the industry in the near future would be equivalent to cutting my soul in half; or seven, and distributed among my individual horcruxes, if you may. To me, USC and all its promising opportunities seems to be my yellow brick road to entering the media industry; all I need now are my red shoes of gaining admission to set me on my way.
I really like your opening paragraph!

As aforementioned, I am drawn to the media and entertainment industry primarily because of the glossy exterior of which it dons, to...

Then again, is it truly so wrong to be so enticed by such superficial - shallow, even - elements?

That said, I am also keen on photography - the ability of the camera to preserve and immortalize treasured moments has fascinated me since childhood.

You are an excellent writer! By your essay, the reader can see that you're intelligent, well spoken, creative and passionate. Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / USC Supplement Essay - Statement of Intent for Annenberg School for Comm & Journalism