USC Undergad Essay "What Matters To Me and Why?"

JonV92 1 / -  
USC's speaker series "What Matters to Me and Why" asks faculty and staff to reflect on their values, beliefs, and motivations. Presenters talk about choices they have made, difficulties encountered, and commitments solidified. Write an essay about an event or experience that helped you learn what is important to you and why it is important.

Responsibilities are things that everyone has, but are not things that everyone can fulfill. I think that being responsible has to do with being mature. Someone who is responsible finishes what they are supposed to do. Someone who is irresponsible will easily forget about their responsibilities and do unproductive things. I am proud of being responsible because I know it is a quality that is hard to maintain.

I recall receiving my transcript for the first time in the ninth grade and being somewhat disappointed. I was ranked in the one hundred and sixties which wasn't bad, but it didn't seem good when I heard what other students were ranked. I wanted to be one of the top ranked students at the school, but I knew I would have to become more responsible and put in more effort. When second semester was over I felt that I had made an improvement, but I still wasn't satisfied. I understood that in order for me to reach my goal I would have to maintain my responsibilities by completing all my assignments, studying and going to tutoring when necessary. From then on my rank improved every semester which motivated me to continue working hard.

For the first time in my life I knew what it felt like to be successful. My responsible nature has allowed me to reach success. By completing my assignments and studying for tests in all my science classes, I have been able to get myself from Integrated Science to AP Physics. Without my ability to resist temptations I probably would have never made it into Honors Pre-Calculus, which is one of the most difficult math classes at school. I overcome my temptations to drop my work to do unproductive things by making mature decisions and sticking to my priorities. By being responsible and conquering my temptations, I have been able to maintain my 3.73 GPA.

I have learned that for every choice I make there is a consequence which can be negative or positive. For this reason it is important for me to be responsible because if I'm not I will always have to suffer the consequences. I think only when one takes responsibly for their own life can they achieve their dreams. I believe that one part of being responsible, is acknowledging our limitations. It does not matter how smart we are, there is only so much responsibility that a person can handle. By maintaining my responsibilities and acknowledging my mistakes I have been able to achieve my goals.

From this experience I have learned that by focusing on the long term rather than the short term, proves to be more satisfying in the end. At university I plan to continue to maintain my responsibilities and will make the experience worth my time and effort. I know that university will be a true test on how responsible I really am because the temptations will be amplified due to the variety of people and activities. I look forward to the challenges and further success that university can provide me with.
syookhong 7 / 21  
"Responsibilities are things that everyone has, but are not things that everyone can fulfill."

Responsibility is a trait that everyone has, but is not a trait that everyone can fulfill.

try not to use "thing"
"thing" is always a weak word.
Responsibilities are things that everyone has, but are not things that everyone can fulfill. ----- this can be made stronger:
Everyone has responsibilities, but not everyone can fulfill them. ---- A sentence that says the same in fewer words sounds stronger.

I found a mistake here:
From this experience I have learned that by focusing on the long term rather than the short term (no need for a comma) proves to be more satisfying in the end.

Home / Undergraduate / USC Undergad Essay "What Matters To Me and Why?"