UTD Essay Topic - Ideas?

Kyle 1 / -  
Topic C: There may be personal information that you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.

Could you guys give me brainstorming ideas? I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of something, I would appreciate the help! Thanks.
RhonWeasley 2 / 6  
Off the top of my head:

- the first time you ever stood up for something you truly believed in = strength in your own beliefs
- a regret you might have - ie. a bad argument, losing touch with a friend, breaking rules = you can show that you're able to learn from your mistakes

- the dilemma of trying to satisfy what you want versus what everyone else wants - ie. you want to be an artist, but your parents want you to become a lawyer (I'm writing something like this for the Common App.) = again, strength in your own hopes/dreams

Sorry, it's hard to really think of anything without knowing who you are. But, I hope this helps.

Good luck!
You are not completely without structure for making a strategic decision. You know something about what you hope to do professionally, what research topics interest you, and what resources attract you to this school... so... write about an experience that enables you to easily talk about these concepts. That way, you can show them how serious, scholarly, and driven you are. What subject fascinates you? What subject would you not mind writing a 20 page paper about? What specific organizations would you like to work for?

The important thing is to get inspired. Write something while inspired, and the writing can transmit inspiration to the admissions person. It is great to read something that inspires you. So, they will receive it well if you muster some inspiration and write with confidence. What are you all about?

Home / Undergraduate / UTD Essay Topic - Ideas?