UVA supplement: Anatomy is challenging and surprising!

sthakur 2 / 22 7  
What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way? (roughly 250 words)

It's truly a wonder how we all carry a body around every day and everywhere yet most of us don't know what it is made of and how it functions.

Anatomy & Physiology has never failed to surprise me. Each day that I explore and expand on my knowledge of anatomy, I grow more curious to what lies inside my own body. It is like discovering new places in your own house.

Back in fourth grade, even the fact that we have 206 bones in our body was hard to believe.

And here I am today, learning about different kinds of epithelial tissues and that they are further categorized into different shapes: simple squamous, pseudo-stratified columnar, etc., each serving a unique function.

In addition to the element of surprise, anatomy is as complex as learning a foreign language. It is extremely difficult as it consists of memorization of countless concepts. However, the challenge is what makes it interesting and allows me to set my best foot forward.

Anatomy has even brought out my nerdy side to the point where I use anatomical directional terms to refer to the parts of my body. I also find jokes about arms quite humerus.

In brief, what lies beneath the epidermis is truly a phenomenon! What's even more appalling is that we walk around using technology gadgets with full knowledge on how they work but yet are oblivious to our own incredible human body that we have known throughout our lives.

Word count: 247/250
aaron_cann 2 / 2  
Consider revising "Back in fourth grade, even the fact that we have 206 bones in our body was hard to believe." to "Even back in fourth grade, the fact that we have 206 bones in our body was hard to believe." This puts more emphasis on how you were interested in Anatomy as a child and makes the sentence sound more natural.

It is truly amazing to understand how we carry our body every day and everywhere, yet many of us still have very little knowledge about how it functions.

Back in fourth grade, I could hardly believe that we have 206 bones in our body.

I also find jokes about arms quite humerus.

... this is not very clear.
OP sthakur 2 / 22 7  
Warning: Only a Disney fanatic will understand. UVA Supplement

What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?

Warning: Only a true Disney fanatic will understand.

Disney taught us that "when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true." Whether it is a wish to go to the Ball, or to never grow up, or the desire to be a real boy, all wishes come true in a Disney story. However, one of the stories stands out to me the most: The Princess and the Frog. In this work of literature, Tiana has a selfless and realistic dream of opening her own restaurant to fulfill her father's aspirations and her personal passion for cooking. Through her hard work and determination, she manages to save enough money to attain her dreams. This tale does not involve any fairy godmother or a Genie but is instead proof of the rewards of hard work.

The story challenges me to "work real hard each and every day...and I'm almost there!" I no longer "wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish, I wish tonight."

I finally realize that a dream is a wish that cannot come true unless you work hard. Perhaps, blowing out birthday candles or making a wish upon the North Star or 11:11 is not the way to obtain fruitful outcomes. Even Jiminy the Cricket encourages that "any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage, to set it free."

Thank-you for reading! I have to submit it within two days so I'd really appreciate any comments.
poptarts96 1 / 4 2  
Hi, I just finished writing my response for the same prompt! :)
I like the fact that you distinguished how Princess and the Frog is different, I never realized that.
The actual movie title The Princess and the Frog should be italicized.
Maybe when you say "this story challenges me" you could be less direct and "show, don't tell"
other then that I think its really good :)
OP sthakur 2 / 22 7  
Thanks for your feedback! Yeah I italicized the title on my document but I forgot to italicize it on here! And yeah, I need to fix that but I'm not really good at showing :/
poptarts96 1 / 4 2  
I think it would be fine if you deleted "The story challenges..." line and then you'd have more words to use if you wanted to add on.
OP sthakur 2 / 22 7  
Okay, I replaced it with "So, to this day, I work real hard..." Thanks for your help :) Let me know if you notice any other errors

Home / Undergraduate / UVA supplement: Anatomy is challenging and surprising!