UVA Favorite word and why- labyrinth

appleblossoms22 1 / -  
hey so I have no idea what UVA wants in relation to favorite word so I hope is did semi okay at least??

Life is a never ending, intricate maze filled with wrong paths, sharp turns, and an exit. It seems to me that life is really a labyrinth. A labyrinth is commonly known as complex arrangement of paths or passages, essentially the same description as life. Labyrinths are not dark and evil despite the generally negative connotation linked to the word. The term labyrinth alludes to something more than just a dark, secluded maze.

I know that I am always excited and feel challenged when given a new puzzle or maze to get out of, even if it is on the back of a cereal box. I felt as if by getting to the end I am maneuvering my way out of the realm of impossibility and progressing closer to where there is hope.

I first stumbled across this word when reading bit of mythology, the story of the Minotaur. King Minos ordered the dreadful Minotaur to be confined in a labyrinth so he would not be able to harm the others. The king believed that the Minotaur lacked the insight and intelligence to escape the labyrinth, and he was correct. However, although the maze seems inescapable, three men, Theseus, Daedalus, and Icarus, relying solely on their wits were able to escape the seemingly impossible labyrinth. This display of knowledge and dedication to survival made me come to view a labyrinth as something more than just a maze. It is a test of intelligence, strategy, and level headedness; all skills needed to successfully leave the labyrinth and also to live a right life.
hereonawhim - / 6  
This is great! Nice choice of word. The only thing I would recommend would be to change the last phrase "to live a right life". It's a little uninspiring and disjointed from the rest of the sentence as if you tacked that on as an afterthought. All in all though I thoroughly enjoyed your essay and hope I could help out!

It would be great if you could also review my essay! Any feedback is appreciated!
Wow, I love that first sentence.. awesome. What are you, Yoda or something? This is profound stuff...

I don't like the second sentence:
Life is a never ending, intricate maze filled with wrong paths, sharp turns, and an exit. It seems to me that life is really a labyrinth. A "labyrinth" is commonly known as a complex maze with anar rangement of paths ...

Great job! This is good writing, clearly.
ayotal 3 / 7  
This is very good. I see only one problem:

"The term labyrinth alludes to something more than just a dark, secluded maze."

I understand why you included this sentence, but I feel that it does not transition well into the following sentences and seems a bit out of place. I would either take it out, or combine it with the sentence before it. I would also replace the word "alludes."

hth
May GOD'S Blessings and Favor be upon you, your family, and your situation forever.

Home / Undergraduate / UVA Favorite word and why- labyrinth