UVA Supplement- Secretly Like Ghost Adventures.

mcgreeky 2 / 4  
Hello! So, I had an idea for this essay, and this is the intro topic. any other ideas would be super beneficial! Like how I should form some of the essay, etc. thanks!

I was cuddled in blankets, anticipating a loud noise. My heart felt like it was beating a mile a second .My eyes were glued to the television as I watched three young men wander an old abandoned house, with nothing but the night vision cameras, a sliver of fear, and a mission: To expose paranormal activity. By the time the program was over, I grabbed my remote and watched about 10 more episodes of the Ghost Adventures from the Travel Channel. I couldn't tell what grabbed me-whether it was the background story of the location they explored, the adrenaline that came over me, or the hilarious facial expressions of the fearful camera guy. Whatever it was, it definitely grabbed my attention, and has now turned into a guilty pleasure.
cooldudebill 1 / 4  
Hi mcgreeky! I really enjoyed this introduction, your description is so vivid! I suggest that you choose some of the scenes in the tv show and describe why they attracted you so much, and differentiate them from any tv show we would randomly watch. And if you used to be a bit scared of these shows( I suppose not), then you can write how the show changed your perspectives on ghosts. But still its up to you. Just follow your heart, and you'll have no prob.
koreanincambo 6 / 11  
I think it always helps to write the effects of something. You could do what cooldudebill suggested, and on top of that, to make the essay more insightful, how it affected you as a person, how you feel about it, etc.
TFleet13 2 / 3  
I would add a tad more insight into your feelings and maybe how this has affected you.
OP mcgreeky 2 / 4  
Thanks all of you who helped me! This is what I ended up with

Cuddled in blankets, and alone in the house, my heart felt like it was beating a mile a minute. My eyes were glued to the television as I watched three young men wander an old abandoned house with nothing but night vision cameras, hints of fear, and a hope to expose paranormal activity. With each passing scene and camera transition, I was further drawn into these "ghostly adventures"-part guilty pleasure, part "Scooby Doo". I was hooked! Before I knew it, I had watched a full marathon of 10 such episodes of the Ghost Adventures series on Travel Channel. I couldn't tell what grabbed me-whether it was the background story of the location they explored, the adrenaline rush that came over me, or the hilarious facial expressions of the fearful camera guy. Whatever it was, it definitely grabbed my attention, something many people don't know about me, and something I knew I wouldn't readily admit.

Even though I know that the Ghost Adventures program is mostly staged, I still cannot help but imagine what such experiences could actually be like. While I secretly harbor a sense that ghosts and demons might truly exist, I am not vocal about it; not because I am embarrassed, but mostly because it never comes up in conversation. No matter, for now it's safe to just enjoy the rush of excitement, curiosity, and fun it provides, like most such stories.

Home / Undergraduate / UVA Supplement- Secretly Like Ghost Adventures.