UVA Supplement: The word "push" is my favorite and reminds me that I shouldn't give up.

rowliejohnflores 6 / 13 5  
Required of ALL applicants, regardless of school or program. Answer one of the following questions in a half page or roughly 250 words (Please select the prompt you are responding to):

What is your favorite word and why?

"Runners, on your marks. Get set," says the official as he fired the gun for the boys' 3000m race. Often placed in the inner lanes, the gun fired near my ear and there was a delay in my start due to my surprise. As I encountered the other side of the track, all I could hear was my team and friends yelling, "Push, Rowlie! Push!" It's no coincidence that "push" is now my favorite word.

I finished two laps and realized I was starting to experience side stitches that at the fourth lap I was already in pain. I had a mile left. The other guys started to pass me. I had the choice to stop, but instead, I wanted to keep going. I ran with one hand squeezing and the other pumping and kept me running, while I cried in pain. All I could hear was the cheers for the other guys who had already finish while my friends were screaming, "Push!" from the top of their lungs. I won't lie and say that the thoughts of walking didn't occur in my mind but the thought of why I joined track--the willingness to challenge myself--resonates in my head.

I was able to finish the race, and although I was last, I found joy in completing the race. The word "push" is now a reminder for myself to persevere and "push" beyond my limits; that no matter how difficult a task may be, I shouldn't give up.
Rowlie, try to explain how the word "push" applies to your mindset in life rather than using all of that word count just setting up the scenario for the word. You are wasting valuable words that should be used to define the important of the word rather than when you first heard and were inspired by the word. That presentation can be done effectively in 2 sentences. The applicability of the favorite word in your daily life and why it has helped you overcome obstacles is the more important presentation in this essay. I urge you to revise the first 2 paragraphs of your essay instead to make the presentation more relevant. You can compress the running scenario in the first paragraph then develop the discussion in the remaining word allotment / paragraphs. That way you can present the history of the favorite word, how it has evolved in meaning from the first time you heard it, and what it means to you as of now. Connecting it to the push to do well as a freshman in college or obtaining the grades you need to get into your university of choice would be a good example of how the word "push" and its meaning has evolved for you over time.
OP rowliejohnflores 6 / 13 5  
Holt, thanks for the comment. Your comment was very helpful. By the way, I made a new version. Sorry, it took so long. How does this sound? Is it better?

My first experience with the word "push" was during my sophomore year when I did the 3000m event for track and field. In the fourth lap of the race, I cried in pain. I felt as if I was being stabbed in the side with a knife, but the only thing in my mind was "I need to finish this race." I kept running even though the sounds of footsteps behind me and the cheers for the people who lapped me speaks of only one thing: to give up. My friends, however, yelled "Push!" from the top of their lungs and though finishing last, I was able to complete the race with the help of one word.

Push is my favorite word because it teaches many lessons.

The word "push" resonated with me as a reminder to persevere and not give up, but also as a motivation to achieve things that are outside of my comfort zone. As I progress through high school-now a senior-the word push allowed me to tackle my fear of public speaking but also encouraged me to take rigorous courses throughout high school. My experiences with this word enabled me to form a sense of maturity and courage that will I think will be essential in college; as well as the crave for challenge. With different deadlines and rigorous coursework, it's easy to get frustrated and give up, but the mentality that the word "push" taught me will enable to become a successful student.

Home / Undergraduate / UVA Supplement: The word "push" is my favorite and reminds me that I shouldn't give up.