"I value space" - Stanford roomate what would you like for them to know

davidgoes 5 / 13  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. What would you want your future roommate to know about you? Tell us something about you that will help your future roommate -- and us -- know you better.

One unique thing about me is how much I value space. As someone who has lived their whole life in a one bedroom apartment with a family of six, I have learned to see the value in even the smallest area. The importance of even an inch of space is colossal to me. I always envied my friends because they had individual bedrooms which measured on average 13 by 12. The depth of my jealousy was so extreme that I recall once measuring out the exact lengths of my friend's bedroom to compare the dearth of space that I could call mine. Having one closet and one drawer to fit my life's possessions was something that I have grown accustomed to. Because my sisters and I share the same fanaticism for conserving and maximizing space, we often argue over centimeters of space. I became obsessed with gaining every ounce of space I could obtain by cleaning thoroughly everyday as to not waste an inch. As I strived to perfect the minute details of my own niche, I came to a satisfaction for how compact and concise my life was. This unique obsession has carried over into every aspect of my daily life. I now see that every opportunity is limited in size, but it is what we make of it which defines it. My fixation can sometimes become problematic as I find personal space in life a limited luxury. My life reflects how I live in that school, work, extracurricular activities, and spending time with my friends are like limited spaces in which I value. My obsession with space has led me to be a very driven and concise person, something that I would definitely want my roommate to know and understand.
garfunkel129 5 / 18  
on average 13 by 12

feet?

to compare the dearth of space

was something that I have grown accustomed to

use either "had grown" or "grew" for continuity

I became obsessed with gaining every ounce of space I could obtain by cleaning thoroughly everyday as to not waste an inch.

Since "ounce" is a weight measurement, I wouldn't recommend using it. Maybe "every bit" or you could use a length measurement again. Also, "every day" is two words.

how compact and concise my life was.

You can probably cut "concise," because it makes it seem like your life is short. It doesn't exactly fit there

are like limited spaces in which I value

you don't need this "in"

Well written =) I hope you get in!

Home / Undergraduate / "I value space" - Stanford roomate what would you like for them to know