VEGANISM; Cornell college; IDEA / CENTRAL STORY TO MY IDENTITY

andreaf96 2 / 2  
Prompt:
Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
It could also be a response to this prompt:
Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

I'm applying to major in Nutritional Sciences and minor in Global Health in the CALS if that makes a difference..

If you really want to find out who around you is the one with the nutrition degree just announce "I'm vegan". First come the pitiful facial expressions that seem to say "you poor thing". Then I'm bombarded with questions about how on earth I can resist bacon and what I would do if I was stranded on an island with no plants and only animals. Lastly, before I have even said a word, people justify their dietary choices as if I had attacked their whole belief system when I asked for no cheese on my salad. It's this defensive reaction that convinces me that I'm doing the right thing. I have never told someone that they should change their diet. I'm not a doctor and it's not for me to say. I only hope that others will see my choices and consider a change for themselves and for the planet.

I was not raised a vegan. I used to love my double cheeseburgers with ketchup and pickles only and a girl toy. But when I watched films and did my research about where these products actually came from, I realized I could not go back to a meat filled diet. I could not eat knowing that my food took the life of another living being.

Jonathan Safran Foer says "We can't plead ignorance, only indifference." I'm a vegan because I know that my actions have an effect on others. I'm a vegan because I want to minimize the number of deaths I'm responsible for. I'm a vegan because I care. I care about the world that I live in and I want to do everything I can to make it a better place.

This is a very, very rough draft. I started with the goal of explaining my veganism in a way that shows that I'm caring and responsible but the more I read it I feel like it may come off as a bit preachy or pretentious sounding to the reader (especially if they happen to be an avid meat lover or hate vegans). But this was the best topic that came to mind when I thought about what I'm passionate about and what defines me. So I basically just want to know if I'm going in the completely wrong direction here or if I just need to add/edit some more. Thanks so much!
But this was the best topic that came to mind when I thought about what I'm passionate about and what defines me.

I guess this is a very strong topic and I feel you have done a good job. Well... I'm not a vegan, but I respect them. I do understand the different opinions people form on this subject, but you defend your belief very logically. That's good. I only wish if you improve this to give the reader a more convincing picture as to what made yourself to opt for this dietary move;

But when I watched films and did my research about where these products actually came from, I realized I could not go back to a meat filled diet.

I think this contains the core of your justification. So I wish you were a bit more descriptive on that. Present it in a manner that brings out your compassionate personality.

Home / Undergraduate / VEGANISM; Cornell college; IDEA / CENTRAL STORY TO MY IDENTITY