Veganism Journey - Common Application

narrowingenuity 1 / -  
This essay is kind of trash but I needed to get one done before deadlines. I feel that some of the sentence structure isn't very well done. Also some of the essay is supposed to be sarcastic and overdramatic on purpose, but I don't know how to portray this through writing without it sounding like I'm actually serious.

Veganism

.
It was nothing I really thought too much of before. I thought the idea was cool, but that I could never give up meat. I've watched Forks Over Knives, Cowspiracy, and What the Health, the three documentaries that are supposed to turn meat eaters into vegans. While I definitely had thought about trying a vegan diet, I was never really serious about it. But with the new year of 2018, I wanted my new year's resolution to be something drastic and life-changing, and I couldn't think of anything better than embarking on a journey of veganism.

January 1, 2018, was the day that I thought my life was going to change forever. Before my diet consisted mainly of ice coffee, Bagel Bites, and embarrassingly Hot Pockets. I read online about how going vegan would change the way your body feels. According to thisisvegan, I would feel more in tune with the Earth, and I would feel more spiritually inclined. But after 2 days of being vegan, the only thing my body felt in tune with was the toilet. And I started to crave some of the trashy foods that I normally ate.

But now a new challenge was upon me in this spiritual journey of veganism: being vegan at school. I went to a school where every boy thought PETA stands for people eating tasty animals. School cafeteria staples included incredibly processed "chicken" patties, whatever is in a McRib, and burgers that would make Gordon Ramsay scream out "bloody hell!" and some other really naughty words. I knew I had to bring my own food. There was no other way this was going to work. However, I knew that my classmates were going to have some comments on my new path to spiritual enlightenment if I brought some weird fake cheese to school. So I adopted a lunch routine of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Oreos, and an old trashy favorite of mine, sweet chili Doritos.

As you can see, my newfound dietary choices weren't the best option for my health, but I didn't want to risk the judgment of my peers. And after a couple days, I began to question if I was really eating any healthier than before and I started to notice that I was justifying my unhealthy eating by telling myself it was healthy because it was vegan.

Almost 15 days into the spiritual journey of veganism, I was hit with the most delicious smell I have ever smelled in my life. The smokey, flame broiled smell of burgers floated through the air and hit my nose. I thought this is what they must mean by veganism makes you in tune with the earth: I was able to track down every Burger King with just my nose. Next thing I know, I had gone through the drive through and ordered a burger. When I look back on this now, this isn't one of my proudest moments, but I do have to admit it was a pretty good burger.

Through this process, I have realized that a vegan lifestyle isn't attainable and realistic for everyone. Veganism is often spread on social media, and some of those who follow the diet think they are morally above those who don't. The vegan diet wasn't made in mind with those who live in food deserts or in places where produce is expensive and not fresh.

My attempt at veganism made me realize that there is no easy road to enlightenment and spiritual growth. There is no quick fix or simple solution to finding what makes you feel alive. I have yet to figure this path out for myself, but I believe that attending college may be the first step in the process. Thus, for 2019, I have a new path to follow, one that I hope is challenging, enlightening, and allows me to reach my potential.
rsrag 1 / 2 1  
Few things, mainly go deeper. Get to the root of why you decided to go vegan, and why you decided to stop. I would recommend a bit more insight on why you didn't want to bring "fake cheese" and how the stereotypes of vegan people impacted your journey. I like the sarcasm and dramatic wording, it shows personality.

As you can see, my newfound dietary choices ... I would avoid telling them this, as it disrupts the narrative a bit. Also when you talk about how veganism isn't possible for everyone, either delve deeper or delete it. Lastly, I believe that attending college may be the first step in the process expand this! How will college be a catalyst for personal growth? Why do you think it will be more effective that a dietary change?

Feel free to ignore any points, best of luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Veganism Journey - Common Application