'on the verge of failing math class' - Peddie School

hades98 6 / 39  
Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote that "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Pick an incident from your personal experience and describe what you learned from facing a challenge, adversity or even failure.

As a young child, I have always thought that I was the best at everything, never failing, and succeeding eternally. This thought lingered in my head until I went to middle school. In our old elementary school, everyone was friendly, and the teachers guided us through everything, like if we were little babies, there were no challenge or competition. There was only happiness.

During my first year in middle school, I was on the verge of failing math class. The challenge that middle school poses inevitably pushed me to my limits. After familiarizing with the school, my grades rebounded. After this incident, I no longer realized that I was the best. This brings me to understand something that Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Succeeding the initial failure, I learned a lesson, and this valuable lesson was that I should never overestimate myself in moments of comfort, and my limit can only be tested during a time of challenge and controversy.

After this lesson, I learned to be less egotistic, and try to train myself to perform better in challenging situations. I also learned to focus when I am surrounded by blaring music or noisy people, and to think calmly during the SSATs or other difficult or challenging situations. These skills have helped me thus far, and hopefully it will continue to guide me through the future.

Help me review this essay and I will return the favor!
bluec 2 / 5  
I think you should elaborate more on the second paragraph.
You have a good beginning, but it needs to be developed more widely.
Also, I like the final paragraph, it shows your maturity, but it needs something more powerful at the end.

Hope that was helpful!

Please review mine!:)
OP hades98 6 / 39  
Hmm.. I did review yours, we are only allowed 1500 characters so I don't know what to add, maybe I can take something out? I will try to go for a powerful ending after the other essay is finished.
OP hades98 6 / 39  
Is anyone else applying to high school? All I see are college applicants
msrv - / 2  
I agree with what bleuc said. try to work on your sentence structure and grammar a bit and take out the martin luther king quote. it is a direct repetition of the prompt and you can use the additional characters to add a better conclusion and produce more of your example. Good luck!
OP hades98 6 / 39  
Thank you guys! Any other comments are appreciated.

Home / Undergraduate / 'on the verge of failing math class' - Peddie School