Versatility in the field of communications; Engaging academically at UPenn

yuzec95 3 / 25  
What initially attracted me to Penn was its tradition of food vending. Growing up, I often traveled with my family to regions in America and China where I would taste exotic foods from various cultures that were from street vendors. I developed a liking for the piquant flavors that challenged my taste buds. To me, it was as like taking a risk, gaining an experience, stepping outside of my comfort zone in hopes of discovering something new and broadening my perspectives. I'm excited to see that at Penn not only can I continue my practice of "risky eating," but I can also apply the mentality to my academic career.

As a Communications major, Penn's undergraduate program gives me the opportunity to explore the field from social, cultural, political and economic standpoints which will give me a comprehensive outlook. Courses such as Communication and Persuasion will teach me the fundamental analytical and rhetorical techniques I need for my future endeavors. To gain first-hand experience in the field, I plan to intern for various communication-related organizations. Through Penn's Internships Seminar, I will be able to reflect on my work by analyzing the communication processes that take place.

Because Penn distinguishes versatility in the field of communications, I've found encouragement to expand my horizons even further. I intend to minor in Sociology with a focus on Structures of Opportunity and Inequality. I am particularly interested in the course Perspectives on Urban Poverty to learn about the domestic and international challenges we face in this new millennium and how they relate to each other.

My ultimate goal is to find a solution to maximize the potential of each person which will strengthen society as a whole. I know that at Penn, the walls of a classroom will never define the limits of my education. Instead, I will be encouraged to think outside the box as I pursue my dreams.

Prompt: A Penn education provides a liberal arts and sciences foundation across multiple disciplines with a practical emphasis in one of four undergraduate schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the School of Nursing, or the Wharton School. Given the undergraduate school to which you are applying, please discuss how you will engage academically at Penn. (Please answer in 300 words or less.)

Any help is great! Thank you.
ALI988 5 / 12  
No grammatical mistakes. But I think you still need to relate to the environment and resources at upenn. In fact thts what Im actually looking for so that I can relate it to my engineering undergraduate school. Do you know where I can find more about it?
Growing up, I often traveled with my family to regions in Americaand China where I would taste exotic foods from various cultures that were from street vendors.

Growing up, I often traveled with my family to different parts of America and China where I had the opportunity to taste authentic foods of diverse cultures that were sold by street vendors.

To me, it was as like taking a risk, gaining an experience, stepping outside of my comfort zone in hopes of discovering something new and broadening my perspectives.

It was an experience of great adventure that led me step outside my comfort zone in hopes of exploring new worlds and broadening my perspectives.

Home / Undergraduate / Versatility in the field of communications; Engaging academically at UPenn