"How 'Vires' has been reflected in my life." FSU prompt

Desilean 6 / 12  
The Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

Let me know what you think...

"Vires, Artes, Mores" is such a powerful motto that Florida State University has. This motto has stuck with me since I took my Latin class two years ago. It unites strength, arts, and intelligence. Even though all of these traits have been reflected at several times in my life, I feel I exemplify Vires, which is the Latin word for strength, the most in my life. My strength is truly a quality that upholds my becoming the pleasing and triumphant person that my future holds me to be.

The strength I have always exerted when it comes to my family is my moral strength. As in many others' lives, I have come across many obstacles. The biggest obstacle I have faced in my life is indeed, losing my grandmother. She was my rock. She lifted me up when I needed lifting. She was the sweetest person I have ever known. She died June 22, 2008. It was the toughest thing I'd ever I had to go through; toughest thing my entire family had to go through. My mother lost the love her life as we all did. I had to strong for her to lean on me. My whole life I leaned on my mother for support; I had to be there for her. I had to be strong.

My physical strength comes from my participating in my high school's flag-football team my junior year. I was determined to make the team. I always attended my conditioning sessions and I always performed my best with every activity the coach threw at me. I was on time every practice and I gave my all during try-outs. When I made the team, I undoubtedly saw that my perseverance and keenness paid off.

My intellectual strength comes from the commitment I have towards my education that I have been applying throughout my academic career. Being a good student doesn't essentially means just getting great grades; it means working hard for what you want in life. If you have determination and will power to fight for the things you require in order to thrive, then you are undeniably a great student. Having a GPA of 3.14, I am definitely an assiduous student, taking courses such as AP Chemistry, AP Biology and also AP English. I am always eager to learn and striving to receive the best grades I can. I always endure and make my parents, as well as myself, proud.

The most active asset in my life is definitely Vires, meaning strength in Latin. Clearly, moral, physical and intellectual strengths are apparent in my life as well. As my strengths have helped me get to the point where I am right now, I now they will continue to be of assistance when I attend Florida State University.
kfrazierwilliam - / 1  
* your second paragraph last two sentences are repetitive.
My mother lost the love her life as we all did.My whole life I leaned on my mother for support, I had to be strong for her to lean on me. I had to be there for her. I had to be strong.
OP Desilean 6 / 12  
i didnt realize that. i was typing so fast. thnx.
I would like to shave off the first 2 sentences.
is such a powerful motto that Florida State University has. This motto has stuck with me since I took my Latin class two years ago. It unites strength, arts, and intelligence. Even though Vires, Artes, Mores...

This way, it gets right to the point. The previous intro was wishy washy.

My strength is truly ------ if you say "truly" it is like saying "I really really mean it," but this is not the way to write something memorable. Make this memorable by adding some specific ideas that are unique to you, things that characterize you... and here is the secret: focus on your ideas that are related to the interests you have in a particular professional field.

Right now, I see 3 ideas: the topic of the death in the family, the topic of football, and the topic "determination and will power to fight for the things you require in order to thrive"...

It will be better if you come up with some ideas that will make this essay really insightful... share an insight that makes you want to learn about the field you plan to enter. I know the essay is supposed to be about how the virtues are reflected in your life, but the most important part of your life with regard to this application is your intention for college & career.

Home / Undergraduate / "How 'Vires' has been reflected in my life." FSU prompt