essay of Virginia DId I answer the question+ grammar

justinwang 10 / 28  
What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way.

Imagine a world where your fate is determined even before your birth. Imagine a world where there are no personality differences, but just DNA differences. Imagine a world where you are discriminated against since your birth, only because of your secondary DNA.

This world in the film "Gattaca" unsettles me by reminding me of the real world. In this world, our fates are largely influenced by our family backgrounds. People with better backgrounds enjoy higher social status and resources, and therefore can succeed easily, while it seems hard for people with inferior backgrounds to achieve.

Fortunately, the protagonist Vincent Freeman surprises me by his strong will to make his dream come true. Without the help of genetic engineering, Vincent is born with flawed DNA. From the day he was born, he was destined to be a cleaner. However, he never accepts his fate. He dreams of being an astronaut, which is blocked by his DNA. Through constant efforts, he finally accomplishes his dream.

The film "Gattaca" not only unsettled and surprised me but also changed me. In the past, I believed that destiny could not be changed. As a man from a very normal family, I could only be an ordinary person who leads tedious life. But after watching Gattaca, I understood the power of dream. I cannot determine my parentage, however, I can improve my life and accomplish by pursuing my dream with unremitting efforts. If there is something which cannot be changed, it is DNA. That's all. The sea called "impossible" finally has its end.

Any comment on my essay is welcomed. Thanks for your help :)
akashnegi 8 / 23  
well ,i think it is a little bit confusing.. are you talking about the DNA or the film?
OP justinwang 10 / 28  
I make some changes to make the essay more expressive. I focus less on the story but focus more one the way it unsettles, surprises, and most importantly changes me.

Home / Undergraduate / essay of Virginia DId I answer the question+ grammar