'visitation with Jessica' - Obstacle Overcome / Why UCF?

maspen1995 1 / 1  
I was born to a selfish woman with zero self-control, self-respect, ethics, or morals. This woman had no regard for others, including her own children; she only cared about herself. I am the first born of three, each of us having a different father. The woman's name is Jessica. Sadly, I do not refer to her as my mother. Although that is her legal title, she was the furthest thing from what a mother should be.

Up until I was five years old, I was raised in an environment where stealing was an accomplishment, lying to authority was expected, and domestic violence was a way of life. Watching my mother being beaten by her various boyfriends did not scare me; I grew accustomed to it. That is what drugs and alcohol led to, and she was an addict in every sense of the word. As a result, even at five years of age, I was the only real mother figure my little sister had, her only form of guidance.

Fortunately for me, just before starting first grade, my father was awarded full custody. I was finally in a loving home where sleeping at night was no longer a fearful event, although, I did have nightmares for quite some time afterward. I no longer wondered when I would receive my next meal or if I would have a bed to sleep on. And luckily, my baby sister was placed in a foster home where she was also safe and secure.

Five years later, I began monthly visitation with Jessica until I came to the conclusion that, "the best part was at the end when she gave me 3 starbursts. I got pink, red, and even orange", according to a 2005 diary entry. I realized those visitations were meaningless to me, and I wanted nothing to do with her. All I needed were my father, family, and friends who have never failed to provide me with all the love and support that has made me the strong person that I am today. I will not say everything has been perfect because every family has their downfalls, but it is perfect enough for me.

I never dwell upon the past because I have gained motivation through my traumatic childhood experiences, becoming the leader my mother never was. Being enrolled in all Honors and Advanced Placement courses, I have maintained a 4.0 Grade Point Average while being employed as a part-time hostess at a restaurant, participating in extracurricular activities such as Varsity Swimming, and volunteering at Northside and Saint Anthony's Hospital, and many others. As for leadership, I was awarded a staff position for Junior Reserves Officer Training Corps my sophomore year prior to transferring to a different high school.

I am not writing this essay to make anyone feel sorry for me-rather to demonstrate that anything is possible. Through my experience, I have learned to not let my childhood affect my academics and social life, and how to overcome adversity. My father and teachers have taught me that I am capable of accomplishing all of my goals and fulfilling all of my dreams.

After months of research to find the college that to me is perfect in fulfilling all of my academic requirements and will lead me down that path of scholastic success, I feel confident that I have found it in the University of Central Florida. After touring the university, I was quite certain that no other school would even be considered. I was absolutely overwhelmed with its modern campus, welcoming faculty, exhilarating school spirit, convenient location, top-ranked academics, and student-friendly atmosphere. Upon acceptance, the University of Central Florida will be like my new home and I feel comfortable in saying that by attending your university, I am guaranteed success in all that I have planned for my future. The University of Central Florida will help me to achieve everything I have ever wished for myself. Your school is permanently imprinted in my mind and I know it is the only place I belong, the place that will perfectly shape me into the person I want to become. I would be honored to become a UCF Knight and accomplish my goal of attending Medical School and become a Pediatric Oncologist.
Tolulope - / 4  
What an unfortunate experience, ihm so lucky that you were not derailed from your dreams,above all you were not a victim of rape.

Please forgive your mother, no matter what she gave birth to you, though its hard but it is necessary for you.

Wishing you all the best in life.
giorgio186 9 / 54  
A very strong story. Captivating, sometimes sad, but always rgenuinely good. I like it and I wish you success.
OP maspen1995 1 / 1  
Thank you so much! Though a lot to go through for being so young, what is most important is that I got through it. Keeping my fingers crossed for UCF! :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'visitation with Jessica' - Obstacle Overcome / Why UCF?