Visual art and in business/ The cicada ; NYU App/ Program? What intrigues you?

sunny_joy 4 / 16 7  
A. NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

For fourteen years, I have been analyzing literature and solving math problems in the traditional education system. I am grateful to have received this foundation education. But in successfully solving a math problem that already has an answer, I am not truly contributing to society. I believe that knowledge cannot be achieved through tunnel vision. It is a complex web of connections spun with years of learning. But the true spinster is an individual's passion. Yet, without this passion, even if a fully functioning web is forcefully spun, it will lack application and, ultimately, be wasted. In college, I want to explore my intellectual curiosity and let my passion guide my education.

I am passionate about visual art and business. In high school, I have created many entrepreneurial projects that integrates my artistic interests with my business approach. Namely, two years ago, I founded a not for profit initiative called Wallet Farm. Using the concept of "micro-enterprise supporting micro-enterprise", Wallet Farm encourages youths to actively contribute to ending poverty through selling handmade, animal shaped wallets that I designed. On a global scale, the money we raised is used to purchase livestock, a sustainable source of income, that provide food and offspring to developing communities.

I hope that through my four years at the Gallatin school of Individualized Study, I can explore both my interest in visual art and in business, further defining the delicate relationship between the two subjects. Similarly, upon viewing SexPosed, the Gallatin fashion show online, I believe that the interdisciplinary nature of the school enables me to continue to thrive in a culture of innovation, whether its taking classes in 1 Washington place, or being a part of the larger NYU community. In this fast pace world that is driven by passion and innovation, I am prepared to take the next step on my journey at New York University.

B. What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

Silver needles of light pierce through the green dome that sways and ruffles to the humid breeze. Beads of perspiration trail from the hair line to the temples, down the dampened neck before finally dissolving into the soiled collar. A slight hum tickles the ears as the wind halts. Like little propellers of a helicopter preparing to take off, the hum increases to a loud buzz, "çŸĽäş†ïźŒ 知了..." (pronounced "zhiliao, zhiliao" in Chinese). It's the cicadas telling us "Yes, of course we know..."

I have spent many of my childhood summers lying underneath a tree and listening to the songs of cicadas. The cicada lives underground for up to seventeen years before emerging from its nymph skin. It comes out a florescent green insect, but manages to turns completely black in a matter of a few hours. Yet, what intrigues me the most about the cicada is the fact that after it emerges from underground, it only has seven days to find a mate with its song before its death.

In Chinese culture, the cicada is a symbol of rebirth. Its song closely resembles "知了" (zhiliao), the chinese word for "understand". For that reason, people personify the insect, claiming the cicada, after years of meditation underground, lives in the moment and enjoys the scarce time it has. Yet, perhaps, the true value of the cicada is that people live vicariously through it. We all want to live in the present, and be grateful for what we have. I must thank the cicada for teaching me that life is short. Let us cherish it.
alicela - / 18 1  
Overall, I find both of your essays to be very poetic and strong.

Yet, perhaps, the true value of the cicada is that people live vicariously through it.

This sentence is a bit unclear. Currently, the sentence states that 'the true value' of the cicada is that people 'live through it'. This is very vague, and I didn't understand. I strongly recommend revising it.

Good luck! Remember that all revisions are only suggestions! I'd gladly review your next draft if you would like ^__^
gdiazdeleon 2 / 7 1  
Very good! So much better than mine haha (i'm applying to NYU too).

On a global scale, the money we raised is used to purchase livestock, a sustainable source of income, that provides food and offspring to developing communities.

In this fast paced world that is driven by passion and innovation, I am prepared to take the next step on my journey at New York University

just some simple mistakes but overall very good!t

Please take some time to see mine! could use the help.
hellogoodbye 2 / 20  
I am grateful to have received this foundation education, but in successfully solving a math problem that already has an answer, I am not truly contributing to society.

Very well written. Like the person above me said, very poetically written. : )
acostandy 2 / 7 2  
This is a really good and well thought out essay! There are some very minor problems that I can see. Other than that, it is really different and well written.

I'm grateful to have received this foundation education, but in successfully solving a math problem that already has an answer, I am not truly contributing to society.

In high school, I have(I would get rid of this) created many entrepreneurial projects that integrated my artistic interests with my business approach.

I hope that through my four years at the Gallatin S chool of Individualized Study
alicederp 10 / 56 4  
Hi there,

"I founded a not for profit initiative called Wallet Farm." Do you mean non profit?

Other than that I think your essay perfectly answers the prompt with good structure and flow.

Please help me with my nyu supplement!
salehrama10 6 / 16 1  
I love how you started this essay. It's really well developed. You showed how ambitious you are but you need to elaborate a little more on how you'll explore your academic interests at NYU. But it's a really well written essay

Home / Undergraduate / Visual art and in business/ The cicada ; NYU App/ Program? What intrigues you?