'voice technology and CSRP' - Cornell's interest essay draft

toma2004 2 / 3  
Here is the prompt:
College of Engineering:
Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

Because English is not my native language, my writing is not so good. Please help me edit my essay. Any suggestion will be welcomed.

The computer truly is a marvelous invention, but without us it is nothing more than a collection of bits and components. Like any good student, a great idea needs to be complemented by a good education which is provided by the outstanding schools with reliable instructors. I cannot hope to accomplish much without the knowledge, but Cornell is the place where all the components of a good education are available to me. I am impressed by the approachable and professional professors and the great curricular programs that Cornell offers to its students. In addition, community plays an important role in the Cornell education. The outreach programs at Cornell are practical and useful for its students because they help to solve real-world problem by linking people to Cornell's rich resources. Students, faculty, and staff share their expertise and energy with schools, businesses, government, community organizations, individuals, and families. This is an opportunity for me to go outside of my school, learning something new, and applying what I have studied from school into reality. Cornell also offers many laboratories and promotes the interdisciplinary research that can help its students learn by themselves. Through that, they can explore more things that they don't have opportunities to do in class experiments. More importantly, Cornell has concentrated on voice technology since 1997 when continuous speech recognition programs (CSRP) were first introduced. They were programs which could recognize users' continuously spoken speech and translate this directly into text processing software. Nowadays, the professors and students at Cornell are continuing research on this issue and this is a good opportunity for me to learn and bring my idea into reality.

Cornell challenges not only my creativity, but also my ability to perform in front of the others. Accompanied with those challenges, Cornell presents many opportunities for me to learn and pursue my dream. Now, I am ready to begin my journey and face all the challenges and opportunities are waiting for me.

Thank you very much for your consideration
zowzow 10 / 175  
i'm sorry but as moderators/contributors, we tend prioritise those who help others. and especially in times of desperate need like now, I personally am editing those who help others because I and others don't have a lot of time

and it seems to me you havn'et helped anyone else
Since I was a child, I started to learn about computers, and they became more familiar to me as I grew up. I figured out that computers are essential in everyday life. Being accustomed to their technological marvels has made it hard for me to imagine how to get through a day without them. If anything happens to these computers, if the control systems of an assembly-line are corrupted, if communication through e-mail and chatting are down, and if the protection systems of the government are tampered with, we will be in trouble.

Although modern computers have a lot of excellent capabilities, they still have some limitations. People spend their time typing on the computer all day for work so that they don't have time to do anything else. Moreover, some disabled people are unable to use computers as effectively because of their disabilities. One solution to this problem is the use of voice commands that enable a computer to listen to a user's voice and do work as they command. This technology has great potential to help people because most people currently rely solely on a mouse and keyboard to input commands into a computer.

Now, how about a new paragraph here:

With voice technology, users can talk to the computer and command it to do what they want, allowing them to perform other duties while giving orders to the computer.

...

good, I see that you stick right with the theme of the essay, and transition into talking about how Cornell will help you.

Cornell challenges me not only my creativity but also my ability to demonstrate my capabilitiesperform in front of the others.

This sentence is not specific enough, I think ----> I need to be confident, but humble, at Cornell to succeed and become a great engineer, helping others to achieve the unachievable to make the impossible possible. Can you say something more specific about how you can get involved with voice technology through your experience at Cornell?
OP toma2004 2 / 3  
Thanks a lot Kevin. you are very kind.
I changed my last paragraph.

is it better?Do I have any grammatical mistakes?

Home / Undergraduate / 'voice technology and CSRP' - Cornell's interest essay draft