Voltaire or Neil Armstrong? Who's the better influence for my essay?

ThePirateKing 3 / 6  
Hello! First, thanks for reading this.

I was planning on writing my essay over Voltaire because after studying European history I really enjoyed his effect on the world and his teachings seemed revolutionary. I brought it up at dinner one night and my father had told me I should choose someone more closely related to the major I want to study (Aerospace Engineering). I told him that it had to be original and had to be someone who truly effected me and he went further to disprove my position.

So my questions are as follows:
- Is it a good idea to write an essay on a philosopher in general?
-Would it be better to keep my essay topics close to the major I'm interested in (Not just the "Someone who impacted you," prompt)?

-One of my teachers told me to keep the essay under 500 words, is it okay to go over?

Thanks again, and I look forward to your help!
thegreatmystery - / 1  
I think writing about Voltaire is good. If that's what you're passionate about, it should make for a better essay. Also, I'm sure the Aerospace Engineering department will get plenty of essays about Neil.

It is ok to go over 500 as long as you don't exceed the written limit on the application. Do try to keep it a concise as possible because the people reading your essay will be reading hundreds just like yours. I think a page to a page and a half is fine.
Birdiee 6 / 35 1  
I second that. It seems like you really like Voltaire, and can write a strong essay on him. Think about how many other may write about Armstrong...especially now that he's died. You can stand out a bit more in your apps, especially because you like Voltaire. And yes keep it 500 words or less. Maybe a few...like three words over, but be careful with this. Didn't voltaire have some science-y view too?...incorporate his views into your interests today

Home / Undergraduate / Voltaire or Neil Armstrong? Who's the better influence for my essay?