I volunteered as a camp counselor ; Syracuse / work experience

runnerb 2 / 5  
3. If you have had work experience, what skills and/or knowledge did you gain?

I volunteered as a camp counselor at the West Windsor Arts Center this past summer. I have always loved playing with children and babysitting my neighbors, but this was an entirely new experience for me. Being a counselor gave me a lot of responsibilities. I was expected to arrive on time and was given certain specific tasks that I had to complete in the allotted time. I was also responsible for making sure each child was safe and accounted for. Through this experience, I feel that I improved my communication skills as well. I learned how to speak efficiently to each age group: my fellow counselors, program directors and campers. As a counselor, I developed more authority. It was my job to help the children stay focused on activities and make sure they exhibit proper behavior. At times, there were numerous children standing around me, each wanting my individual and undivided attention. Using an authoritative voice, I guided the campers back on task. I learned from volunteering at the Arts Center, that in order for someone to fully listen and understand what I have to say, I must speak confidently and definitively. The skills and knowledge I gained from being a counselor at the West Windsor Arts Center will benefit me in my future endeavors.
valeriadavila01 9 / 17 2  
Being a counselor gave mecame with a lot of responsibilities. Through this experience, I also feel that I improved my communication skills as well .
I learned how to speak efficiently to each age group[s:] including my fellow counselors, program directors and campers.
Really good essay! The only thing I would say is, try to vary your sentence lengths. You can combine some of them!

Take or leave my advice, it's up to you! :)
Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / I volunteered as a camp counselor ; Syracuse / work experience