Volunteered at Sunrise Senior Living - Common App; Extracurricular

brightlights208 2 / 4 1  
Is the ending okay? It might be a little abrupt but I don't really know how to end the paragraph. Thanks!

Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

"I think you should choose red for the bird." I said to Michelle as I painted with the residents at Sunrise Senior Living. Since I began volunteering at Sunrise during my freshman year, I have engaged in various activities with the seniors such as bingo and cooking. However, it is the art classes I enjoy the best.

At first, I was unprepared for the unresponsive stares and incoherent conversations I often received in the Remininst department. Hesitant and awkward, I needed to cast aside my own timidness in order to give the seniors the most comfortable service possible. The past three years at Sunrise have taught me the importance of patience and have given me the confidence and communication skills that I never thought I had. However, as I watched the red paint strokes make their way onto the paper in front of me and Michelle starts talking about her young days as a teacher, I realized it is these moments that are the most rewarding.
sillybandz 6 / 20  
I don't really understand the last sentence. And yes it is very abrupt. I'm lost at Michelle being a teacher. How does that relate to this essay?

Home / Undergraduate / Volunteered at Sunrise Senior Living - Common App; Extracurricular