"My Volunteering Experience with Kids" -- UC Prompt #2

mrdtt18 1 / 4  
Prompt: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

I believe that we all have a destiny, but we are not predestined. Like the pieces one is dealt in a chess game, it is not so much about acquiring the right pieces but in playing the ones you hold well. The pieces you are given are something you cannot control, but the way you play is up to you. Some people use the opportunities they have to move themselves into a better situation while others throw away their chances and end up doing poorly. In the short distance I have traveled in life, I have learned from my parents that where I end up in life is not as important as the person I become through the journey. I have also picked up that growing up involves giving back to society and the people around it. Continually putting myself out to help people has helped me to keep a fresh mind when I encounter certain situations in life.

Back when I was volunteering at Tian Ann Temple, I helped out with religious services, temple maintenance, and various other tasks if called upon to execute them. Yet, the task I was most committed to was taking care of the kids while their parents were attending temple worship. At first, the idea of watching little "children" seemed like a mundane activity to me. The children would start fighting, and crying, over and over again. Yet, as time went on, the kids noticed that, there was a much older person in the room, a person that could guide them and help them. At my coaxing, some of the kids began calming down and listening to me. Some even tried to make conversation with me. As they began to look for me more often, I decided to instigate some activities that the kids and I could participate in together. One weekend, the kids and I ventured out onto the temple playground and started a simple game of handball. I must admit, the game itself was pretty humdrum. A ball being thrown back and forth, I would not want to be playing this activity every single day. Yet, on this weekend, "handball" was a bonding activity. I split the kids up into teams and had them start their own matches. Some kids played like they were experts and some like they were new at the game. One child in particular did not know how to play and started crying. I went up to this child and comforted him, giving him a quick side lesson. After that, he started playing again. Besides a few glitches here and there, he played like the Kobe Bryant of handball. At the end of the day, this child went up to his parents and told them that I taught him how to play handball. I could not have felt more honored than to help a child recognize that learning something is possible. Volunteering at the temple was an experience indeed.

In answering the question of what I will bring to the University of California, I believe that my fervor and infatuation for volunteering are personal qualities that will allow me to be successful as a university student. My willingness to persist will fit in with the University of California's philosophy of producing high quality graduates. These qualities will undoubtedly contribute to the vivacity of the university, and further up the reputation of this fine university system.

Thank You very much for takinh your time to look at my essay!
Arwen 1 / 10  
I have also picked up learned that growing up involves giving back to society and the people around it.

Some even tried to make conversation converse with me

One weekend, the kids and I we ventured out onto the temple playground and started a simple game of handball. (do not use "the kids and I" so often!)

A ball being thrown back and forth, I would not want to be playing this activity every single day.
(A bit confusing, you change tenses and the sentence sounds incomplete)

Yet, on this weekend, "handball" was a became a bonding activity.

Really good essay! Get others to edit it and give you their input
OP mrdtt18 1 / 4  
Thank you Arwen for taking a look at my essay, I will immediately take a look at your suggestions.
k8255 3 / 3  
I can really picture you as a person by reading this essay.

The essay is descriptive and vivid.

Wish you luck on your studies~

Home / Undergraduate / "My Volunteering Experience with Kids" -- UC Prompt #2