'Volunteering at out-patient orthopedic setting' - review for PTCAS

jlh1045 1 / -  
Prompt:Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

In the spring of 2010, I signed up for an athletic training course named Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. On the first day of class I met the professor __________, but I didn't know she would be who changed my life forever as well as be my future research mentor. She was interesting when she taught, but had a very genuine concern for the art and science of rehabbing the human anatomy that could be seen instantly. The most demanding teacher I had endured thus far, she challenged all of us to master the material and apply it every exam. I quickly found myself reading ahead in chapters, starting study groups with the AT students, and attending lectures on Kinesiotaping and PNF stretching. My new found love for the challenges of patient analysis and information of rehabilitation grew with every lecture, and by the end of the course I had nothing but questions of how to learn more. She suggested attaining some time in a clinical setting to see if my interest in rehabilitation had a true calling, and signed me up for Therapeutic Modalities in the fall.

That summer I began a volunteering my services at _____________, a small privately owned primarily out-patient orthopedic setting. I spent my hours there doing mostly observing and a hefty amount of time asking nonstop questions to the four therapists, so speaking with the patient to get to know them and their injuries fell hand in hand. There was a patient that solidified my decision to pursue physical therapy. He was an elderly gentleman who was no longer able to extend his cervical spine to a neutral position likely from bad posture and weak musculature. We made a bond when he disclosed to me how close him and his grand-son were because my grand-father was my father though he passed at an early age. I requested to work mornings so that I could help one of the therapists help him, and we all stayed positive, focused, and took the small wins to heart. After a tough few weeks we had him back to standing straight with a tall neck and visible smile, and most importantly able to continue his most beloved activities with his grand-son. When I saw the jubilant reaction he had on the day he was cleared was a feeling I never wanted to stop witnessing, and I knew that physical therapy was for me.

I began excelling through school with a burning desire to fulfill my newest goal of becoming a licensed physical therapist. My dedication to service began to snowball. I took another rehabilitation based course, attended numerous AT sponsored seminars and lectures, and researching for my upcoming internship. I found ______________ and became their first Undergraduate Kinesiology Intern where I dove in head first, and eventually became a hired technician. As an intern I began interacting with patients immediately through applying modalities and working hands on right next to the PT's. Having a hands-on experience solidified my love for physical therapy, and the career paths journey ahead because I knew the true sacrifices one must put forth to be a caring and skilled physical therapist.

I currently coach power tumbling and artistic gymnastics, and feel that a lot of the responsibilities and personal qualities I have developed through coaching these teams, and my clinical interactions are very similar. I must have patience filled with positivity when speaking with discouraged athletes or patients, dedication to push them through tough skills or hang ups of rehab of whomever I'm assisting, love of the task I'm performing whether critiquing tumbling or guiding rehabilitation, empathy for my children or patients when it's getting tough, interpersonal skills to interact and convey thoughts and create a report, problem solving to fix flaws of technique in gymnastics or find an innovative way to bypass a problem that's keeping the rehabilitation process stuck, and mostly compassion to my athletes or my patients in times of good or positivity

I believe a certain scripture speaks to me most of all about my true intentions to become a physical therapist. Mark 10:45 says, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many." This tells us that we must have a servant's heart, and be willing to put the needs of others in front of our own sometimes. This verse is definitely a message I have come to live my life by, and look forward to expanding it into my professional career.
In the spring of 2010, I signed up for an athletic training course, called Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation.

On the first day of class I met the professor __________, but I didn't know she would change my life forever as well as be my future research mentor.

She was interesting when she taught, but had a very genuine concern for the art and science of rehabbing the human anatomy, which could be seen instantly.

She suggested spending some time in a clinical setting to see if my interest in rehabilitation had a true calling, and signed me up for Therapeutic Modalities in the fall.

After a tough few weeks, we had him back to standing straight with a tall neck and visible smile, and most importantly able to continue his most beloved activities with his grand-son.

When I saw the jubilant reaction he had on the day he was cleared, it was a feeling I never wanted to stop witnessing, and I knew that physical therapy was for me.

Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Volunteering at out-patient orthopedic setting' - review for PTCAS