Voter Participation - ApplyTexas important issue

brik2100 2 / 6  
Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, local, political, school-related, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of this essay to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

---

Living in the country that originated modern democracy, I and all other Americans should ideally feel that our views and beliefs are being represented in government, regardless of which view encompasses greater representation. Thus it is ironic that political scientists state the biggest problem in the present system of government is its unequal representation of the diverse American population. Although government corruption remains as the popular scapegoat in regards to representative inequality, the prominent issue and cause is the pattern of decreasing voter participation in the elections.

Voter turnout has notably decreased across all demographic groups since 1950, but embarrassingly enough, it turns out that my generation symbolizes the age group with the least voter participation. Considering the fact that my generation and all other subsequent generations represent the future of American government, the lack of political participation may just as well serve as a vision of a United States much less democratic than its original leaders intended. With the nation still teeming with bigotry and discrimination, isn't it common sense that we, as young Americans, need to fulfill our civic duty by voicing our opinions on important issues through voting no matter how distinct our beliefs are?

Frighteningly enough, the negative aspects our system of government was designed to repel have experienced a resurgence, namely inequality and discrimination. In the 2008 elections, a law named Proposition 8 was passed in California that embodied discrimination, banning the legalization of same-sex marriage in the state effective immediately after the polls were closed. In an instant, same-sex couples in the state of California lost their recently gained right to marry and to be regarded in equal stature compared with heterosexual couples. I feel it is reasonable to assume that if more young voters participated in the polls, this law would never have come to fruition, considering the fact that liberal views tend to prevail in the younger generations. Although the law was repealed last year in court, marriage equality remains outlawed in the state. Furthermore, Proposition 8 still represents a massive blow to the credibility of American government because any government that legalizes discrimination and inequality breeds a dangerous precedent that will haunt its younger generations.

Even more appalling than the previous example are laws that urge discrimination against illegal immigrants and permits law enforcement agencies to openly practice racial profiling. Some of the "Stop and Identify" bills that numerous states have already imposed were passed through referendum. However, ballots concerning legislation frequently show low voter turnout which implies that even less young Americans voted on the bill. As an American who experiences the hindrances caused by the recent state of the economy, I understand why some policymakers regard these laws as necessary to foster job creation for its citizens and to stabilize the economy. Regardless, I still have a valid reason to fear these "Stop and Identify" laws; they could lead to widespread discrimination against minorities and are disconcertingly reminiscent of witch hunts. These measures may improve the recent stature of the economy, but if in the long run they affect my ability to live my life as freely as any other American, they deserve no role in the government.

I am currently a permanent resident and seventeen years old, but I plan to register for citizenship by the end of the year and subsequently register to vote. My voice may be only one of 300 million in the country yet it needs to be represented. Inequality and discrimination are severely antiquated and have no place in the government; if I have the capability to prevent legal prejudice, there is no doubt in my mind that I will use this ability.

---

I just want to know if I answered the question correctly, if I made an error in essay format, or if I made any grammatical errors. Thank you in advance!
JessH 4 / 10  
This is essay is excellent overall.No grammatical errors as far as I could see.It is eloquent,straightforward , and very realistic.Well done.
vinhstuh 2 / 5  
I agree with Jess, it is a bit long, you can really cut it down a bit in some places to really keep it clean and straightforward. Nonetheless Well Done!

Home / Undergraduate / Voter Participation - ApplyTexas important issue