"The Waking Old Desire" - Transfer Caltech Essay

liliputjogja 1 / -  
Prompt: Please provide a statement (250 words minimum) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.

"I'm sorry, but your father can't afford you if you go," explained my mother lugubriously in the middle of 2009. It was the day when I had to bury my dream to study abroad before great experience resurrected my desire.

Actually, my interest to study abroad had appeared since I was in Senior High School. My dream began to grow after my colleague who was studying in Germany told his experience. My desire burgeoned rapidly when I participated in JENESYS (Japan-East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths) Program 2008. I met many people from other countries, such as Malaysia, Thailand, India, Australia, Philippine, and New Zealand, lived with Japanese family, and went to Japanese School during two unforgettable weeks. I also visited university in Osaka where I found a laboratory filled with many modern devices. I could not find such laboratory in Indonesia. My journey taught me about how multifarious the world is and how many things I can get from studying in developed nations.

Nevertheless, the main resistance of my dream is the cost. I am not from a well to do family because my parents have three children to be supported: my younger sister, my younger brother, and I. The problem grew worse when my father got a traffic accident in June 2009. He was hospitalized for 15 days and had to be examined by the doctor monthly. The medicine drained most of his saving. On the other hand, my sister would go to junior high school and my brother would enter elementary school in July 2010, at the same time I would attend the university. Considering those prodigious expenses, it would be impossible for my parents to pay the entire college fee if I studied abroad. "I'm sorry, but your father can't afford you if you go," explained my mother. As a result, I put aside my desire and tried to focus on another dream: be a medalist in Physics Olympiad.

I had interested in math and science since I was a child after my parents gave me a large number of encyclopedias and a lot of scientist or inventor autobiographies. Those topics are my favorite subjects during the elementary. Entering the high school, I began to like physics better than other subjects because I could understand the beauty of the nature by studying physics. Knowing my penchant, my teacher suggested me to participate in physics competition. To my surprise, I got a Silver Medal in National Science Olympiad (NSO) 2006 in Physics for Junior High School and a Bronze Medal in NSO 2008 for Senior High School. It grew my confidence that one day I could get a gold medal. After realizing that my opportunity to study abroad vanished, I focused on my physics Olympiad besides the school. Finally, I got a Gold Medal in NSO 2009 and became one of Indonesia's representatives in Asian Physics Olympiad (APhO) 2010 in Taiwan.

During the Indonesia Physics Olympiad Training, from October 2009 until March 2010, my buried dream began to reappear when I observed some of my friends applying to overseas universities, such as in Singapore and USA. Yet, recalling my parents' financial inability, I persisted to study for the APhO and decided to apply for one of the best and cheapest domestic university: Gadjah Mada University (GMU).

After studying college-level physics from 4 a.m. till 10 p.m. every day, I finally received a Bronze Medal in APhO 2010, made me and 4 other friends able to participate in International Physics Olympiad 2010 in Croatia. At the same time, I got the news that I was accepted in Electrical Engineering of GMU. It was the time when I almost totally forgot my old dream. "Moreover, I could still apply for graduate program overseas after I finished my study in GMU," I thought.

It wasn't until the closing ceremony of IPhO when I realized the consequence of being IPhO silver medalist. "Congratulation! With your silver medal, you can use the government scholarship to study abroad!" my physics advisor said, awoke my old desire. At that time, the resistance of my goal, the high cost, was eradicated by the scholarship from the Indonesia government for my success in IPhO. The minister of education had promised to pay the entire cost of my study for both undergraduate and graduate program. It was the day when I decided to apply for transfer program.

I decide to try this program so that I can learn more about Electrical Engineering. Unlike underdeveloped country, developed country usually budget out enormous money in research, through which a student can understand the topic better and develop his ability. In country like USA, the student is also able to find multifarious reference books easily. Through this program, I want to increase my knowledge and skill so that I can be a great electrical engineer to advance my country's technology in the future.

I also want to improve my English proficiency. I'm sure that the most effective way to learn English is by living in speaking-English society so that I can write novel which can be read by everyone around the world in the future.

This is my decision and I'm ready to be transferred and face the challenge!

this is still a draft. please give comment and suggestion! Thanks a lot!
sweetheart87 11 / 31  
I appreciated it!!! I like so much it!
I didn't see details errors!
Good essay for my point of view!
This part is a little unclear:
It was the day when I had to bury my dream to study abroad. It was buried only until a great experience resurrected my desire.

I could not find such a laboratory in Indonesia.----I added "a" here. It is a strange phrase: ... I have never found such a XXXX..."---the word such is used in strange ways.

I had been interested in math and science since...

Nice job here!!---> "Moreover, I could still apply for graduate program overseas after I finished my study in GMU," I thought.---I like that part.

It wasn't until the closing ceremony of IPhO when I realized the consequence of being IPhO silver medalist. "Congratulations ! With your silver medal, you can use the government scholarship to study abroad!" my physics advisor said, and this remark awoke my old desire.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "The Waking Old Desire" - Transfer Caltech Essay