As I walk on to the basketball court, my friends yell "Nowitzki"- Michigan Supplement

WizFan2 5 / 20 1  
Prompt: Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

Rusty old weights in the gym; only one basketball court almost always taken up by nine year olds wearing 300 dollar shoes, or what I call the unemployed crew; the group of ten 25 year olds that are somehow on the court the entire day forms the daily scene of my favorite community. Problems aside, I wouldn't have it any other way; the YMCA is like my second home. The employees are so familiar with me that I no longer have to check in at the front desk.

As I walk on to the basketball court, my friends yell "Nowitzki", but they're not hailing the power forward of the Dallas Mavericks, they are speaking to me. We all refer to each other by the names of NBA players whose style of play we resemble. Being 6'4, lanky, and unorthodox in my playing style, I have earned Dirk Nowitzki's name. I shoot mostly jump shots rather than playing close the basket, as most tall players traditionally do. This allows me to take advantage of my most valuable asset as a player-my height. Learning to take advantage of the resources available makes me not only a valuable player on a basketball team, but an asset to any group to which I belong. As a member of the student body at Michigan, I'm part of a huge team. A willingness to think outside the box and an understanding of how to use resources to their best advantage will allow me to add to the richness of the community at the University of Michigan.
Dreqc 2 / 7 1  
THIS is really good
vocabulary is diverse and usage is perfect
Dirk what the purpose of this essay ? for university admission? please correct me if i am wrong
OP WizFan2 5 / 20 1  
Yeah, for Michigan. Thanks!
OP WizFan2 5 / 20 1  
Anyone else?

Home / Undergraduate / As I walk on to the basketball court, my friends yell "Nowitzki"- Michigan Supplement