"I wanted to major in Computer Science" - why to apply to Harvey Mudd College?

jainalwa 1 / 2  
What influenced you to apply to Harvey Mudd College? What about the HMC curriculum and community appeals to you? (500 word limit)

Senior year had begun and I, Jai Nalwa, wanted to make one last change in my school which I lived and studied for 10 years. One day I went up to the head of high school, Mr. Plonka, and asked him if I could start an organization called STIR. He laughed and said, "Sure a cooking club will be great for the students", he clearly missed my point. "No, no, no. STIR stands for Student Teacher Improving Relations."

"Uhmm, tell me about it." Said an intrigued Mr. Plonka
"I told him that according to many theories learning is like a social event, where an emotional relationship is essential. Thus, to improve students' chances for academic success, teachers and students must strive together to form meaningful personal relationships, which I believe this organization, will help bring forth."

Harvey Mudd is the right match for this idea, an undergraduate school where the professor - student relationship is taken very seriously, which I believe is essential for an educational institution. Patricia Phelan once said, "Positive teacher relationships with academically successful students will most likely lead to students which are more likely to be engaged in class and internalize the course materials". Harvey Mudd is a living example of this argument where the student's interest and love for the object is incalculable, and I too would like to be a part of this experience. Professor's time, their expensive research, and their hard core teaching is all directed towards the undergraduate student.

Another thing which is appealing to me about HMC is its pragmatic curriculum. "Learn by doing" is what HMC goes by and I fully support it. I love doing labs in Chemistry classes, building fans for a Science fair, or figuring out how rolls and beats on my drum set, I'm a hands-on man. A $2 million dollar budget just for research and the freedom to conduct whatever you want or care for, a man can go wild and so would I.

I come from an International School where diversity is welcomed with open arms. A humorous, all-rounded community is the best a student can be part of after a tiring intellect college day. After all ever one needs a break! The openness to trust anybody and everybody is just amazing, whereas, in my school we were told to lock everything just in case something goes missing. Sometimes I annoy my friends because I can't stop drumming the new beat which I came up with, on my textbook. Spontaneous and invention are two words which are always in my mind and HMC won't take that away, in fact, it will nurture it.

I would like to end with what Miss. Thyra Briggs told me during my Interview; after I told her I wanted to major in Computer Science even thought I had minimal experience with computer language and software. She said, "The important thing is enthusiasm for the field and how you as a student want to make a contribution and have an impact"
clamchowder 1 / 9  
One day I went up to the head of high school, Mr. Plonka, and asked him if I could start an organization called STIR.

" I told him that according to many theories learning is like a social event, where an emotional relationship is essential. Thus, to improve students' chances for academic success, teachers and students must strive together to form meaningful personal relationships, which I believe this organization, will help bring forth."

With a $2 million dollar budget just for research and the freedom to conduct whatever you want or care for, a man can go wild and so would I.

i nternational s chool

intellectual college day

"The openness to trust anybody and everybody is just amazing, whereas, in my school we were told to lock everything just in case something goes missing. "

Uh, add a transition to this?

Spontaneous and invention are two words which are always in my mind and HMC won't take that away, in fact, it will nurture it.

i nterview;
OP jainalwa 1 / 2  
Can you please help me out in this part. I'm not sure what type of transition to put. It's due in a few hours!!

Uh, add a transition to this?
Wow, awesome idea!! I can tell it might be disturbing to teachers, because they are supposed to work for good relations no matter what, so the promise of the organization may undermine the ideas of teachers who like to think they are already building good relations.

I'm sorry I did not see this in time to help with your transition; I hope you were successful with this essay!

:-)

This essay lacks structure. It needs a thesis statement that explains the main idea, and then it needs PARAGRAPH TOPIC SENTENCES to show how each paragraph supports the thesis.

Home / Undergraduate / "I wanted to major in Computer Science" - why to apply to Harvey Mudd College?