I have always wanted to play guitar - My UF essay

Joshrules 2 / 1  
Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

Ever since I could remember, I have always wanted to play guitar. Guitar has always interested me, ever since I heard the beautiful music of my personal and musical hero, Jimi Hendrix. His playing style and stage presence just inspired me. I thought that, if I learned to play guitar, than I will be just like him and be able to play his incredible songs

My first guitar was from a small guitar shop right by my house. Of course I wanted the most expensive and coolest looking guitar in the entire shop. However, my parents knew better and made me choose between a cherry red and a dark blue guitar. I chose the cherry red guitar as it was, at the time, my favorite color, my parents as well, signed me up for guitar lessons with a local guitar teacher.

Learning how to play guitar was by all means not easy at all. The first thing I had to learn was how to read sheet music, and with that, learn music theory. At first, I could not understand how to read sheet music, as it was my first time playing an instrument. It took me countless times to memorize each note for each string and for each fret. Plus, I also had to know how to associate each note on paper for each note on my guitar. As well, I had to learn how to keep in tempo to the beat of each song I was learning at the time, my teacher often was disappointed in me, because I would not keep tempo which made the song sound completely wrong. This made me practice even more vigorously to correct my mistakes.

The next thing I learnt was how to read guitar tablature. Learning tablature is considerably easier to understand and learn. However, in order for me to comprehend tablature I took my own initiative to learn and understand it better than from what my teacher taught me. With tablature, I learned new songs and I even wrote my own songs, to my favorite genre, blues.

Another thing that I have learned from playing guitar was to keep on trying again and again until I accomplish what I attend to do. For playing guitar, this required me to keep playing the same songs, riffs, or chords over and over again, until I can memorize and play the particular part. This demanded a lot of time, but I still kept my academics up to my parent's high standards, as well keeping up with my extracurricular activities.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I'm not sure the conclusion is particularly strong here. A conclusion is supposed to reiterate and restate the main points of your essay, and I just don't think this ending does that. It also introduces new information (your grades and extracurricular activities), something a conclusion shouldn't ever do.
OP Joshrules 2 / 1  
Thanks so much for the input!

I made short conclusion, but I'm not sure if it is the correct format for college entrance essays.

By learning to play guitar, I acquired so many new talents. From learning to keep on trying until my accomplishments are met, to taking my own initiative to learn and understand new subjects, and to keep on playing no matter what.
garryhill - / 1  
There lies immense dedication and sincerity in order to learn the art of playing guitar. It is surely a treat to watch someone play a guitar. The music that is generated is so soothing that everyone would definitely get attracted. It is a good idea to learn a guitar. Call it as a hobby or passion, one can always cherish the golden moments by playing a guitar. There isn't a compulsion that one has to hire a tutor to learn the lessons as there is an availability of online lessons too. One can go through the enormous collection of guitar learning and get familiar with it.

-garryhill,
timothyerdei 4 / 16  
"I have always wanted to play guitar. Guitar has always interested me," seems a bit redundant.

Home / Undergraduate / I have always wanted to play guitar - My UF essay