What do watches have -Bioengineering department -UPENN Supplement: why you are a good fit?

archanimal890 1 / -  
What do watches have to do with biomedical engineering? Everything. I like comparing the human body to my old Invicta watch. When one gear fails to move, the entire timepiece inevitably suffers. Luckily, the body is more forgiving as it has the power to repair itself-to an extent. Torn skin, broken bones, and even the acne scars on my face (hopefully) will be mended with time. However, torn ligaments, broken eardrums, and liver scar tissue cannot be repaired so naturally. This is where the watch triumphs over the human body; broken gears can simply be repaired or replaced, but why can't the same be true for the human body? Someone should not have to suffer because of one broken gear and I want to dedicate my life to find new ways remedy, repair, and replace. Biomedical Engineering is my way of finding out not only what makes people tick but how I can keep them ticking.

That said, I find that the bioengineering department at the University of Pennsylvania complements my dedication perfectly. At first sight, I am captivated by the large level of research conducted about nano-scale protein development and drug delivery. An internship at the Protein Data Bank introduced to me the world of protein modeling and drug development that is being pioneered by professors at this university. One simulation from a team led by Ravi Radhakrishnan (associate professor in Bioengineering) that allows researchers to test binding sites for antibody nanocarrier molecules resonates with my interest molecular biology. I relish opportunity to work with his team and others professors including Jason A. Burdick (associate professor in Bioengineering) and the Gorman Brothers. Their research in developing degradable polymers for tissue engineering cell scaffolding would provide me with an excellent experience for my future career in biomedical engineering.

The university's academic side is just as sterling as the multitude of research opportunities. The clinical preceptorship in Bioengineering course (BE 400) allows me focus on my particular biological interest and integrate shadowing professionals and joining research projects for a meaningful learning experience. Should standard courses not meet my needs, Penn offers independent study (BE 099, 490, 492) that would allow me explore laboratory environments across many campuses including the medical and dental schools. What's more, this program would allow me to pursue original research while simultaneously earning college credits.

When not focusing on academic pursuits, I would entertain my hobbies and give back to the community using Penn's vast array of student organizations. I can spend hours in The Red and Blue robotics club and have an enormous amount of fun making, programming, and pitting little boxing robots against each other. I can put my programming knowledge to further use by volunteering through the CommuniTech club to assist local impoverished neighborhoods by providing them with computers and technology skills. Moreover, I am excited that the Penn Circle K club would allow me to continue my volunteer service through Kiwanis International; I was (and still am) an avid Key Club member for four years and would love to participate in the larger community projects that Penn's Circle K club hosts.

The clubs, academics, and research opportunities are only a taste of what Penn offers, and to simplify the question "why Penn?" I think of my watch. My interest is the power source and everything University of Pennsylvania offers is a gear that contributes to the overall watch movement and my education. I cannot help but look at the University of Pennsylvania see that it is the perfect place to build on my love for biomedical engineering. Unfortunately, if I tried to fit all of Penn's offerings as gears in one watch, I do not think it would fit on my arm.
quanny 9 / 36 2  
WOW, FEEL safe to submit, it is very detailed and personal. i like ur analogy at the end haha

Home / Undergraduate / What do watches have -Bioengineering department -UPENN Supplement: why you are a good fit?