Waterloo; comment e.g. on your exposure to engineering through school-related and other experiences

mmahtab10 2 / 4  

Waterloo engineering interests and goals

Briefly explain why you are interested in engineering and particularly in the program to which you have applied. Comment, for example, on your interests and abilities; your career goals; exposure to engineering through school-related and other experiences; and discussions you have had with engineers, teachers, current or past Waterloo students. (900-character limit)

Engineering provides me with the opportunity to build systems that work for millions of people. To be able to innovate in new areas, improve an existing system and solve problems are of great importance to me. One of my first engineering projects was to model a car powered by propellers. I finished as the first runner-up in the science competition and currently working on programming drones using Arduino for the National Think Science competition. Moreover, my work experience at the software development department of BAK Holdings educated me on writing well-structured and simplified codes. My father is an electrical engineer, who guided me on several trips to power stations and aroused deep interests in me about the field of energy. Discussions with one of Waterloo's recent alumnus enlightened me on the prospects available for research on operational AI and human-machine interaction.

Thanks for your response and feedback.
Mohammed, your essay is dry, boring, and not very informative. You should be focusing in providing interesting responses for each discussion recommendation from the original prompt. What you wrote does not respond directly nor apply to most of the suggested discussion points. Let me correct that, these are not suggested discussion points, these are required discussion presentations. Let's see if I can guide you towards a better understanding of the prompt requirements:

1. Why are you interested in Engineering and the program you applied to
- First mention your engineering proper (electrical, mechanical, etc.) and then indicate an idea you have for a project that has real world applications. That will help explain why you are interested in this major.

2. Interests and abilities
- Focus on the competition you joined and explain why you chose that particular project to create for the competition. Describe how your skills helped you design and build the propeller powered car. Do not discuss the competition you have yet to join because that will not help you highlight your engineering skills and abilities.

3. Career goals
- What is your current position at BAK? How do you see yourself improving your employee status after you complete your studies? How will your studies help you specifically do that?

4. discussions you have had with engineers, teachers, current or past Waterloo students.
- Provide an actual discussion about engineering that you had with your father that inspired you to pursue this career. You need to explain more than how your father aroused your interest by taking you to visit power stations. That doesn't represent a discussion between the two of you that could have influenced your decision to become an X engineer. As for the alumnus discussion, name names. Who did you speak to? What? What was said, how did that factor into your decision to apply at Waterloo?

Your response is too generic. Even with only 900 characters, you should be able to come up with a more detailed response if you focus your attention in writing the correct answers to the questions. I think my guide questions and suggestions should help you achieve a more detailed and relevant response statement.

Home / Undergraduate / Waterloo; comment e.g. on your exposure to engineering through school-related and other experiences