UF is my way of declaring that I will not settle for less, I am destined to live "The Good Life"

orian2014 3 / 3  
We often hear the phrase 'the good life'. In fact, the University of Florida's common course required of all undergraduate students is titled "What is the Good Life?". The concept of 'the good life' can be interpreted in many different ways depending upon the experiences, values and aspirations of each individual.

In a concise narrative, describe your notion of 'the good life'. How will your undergraduate experience at the University of Florida prepare you to live 'the good life'?

The intermittent sound of the buzzer rang throughout all of the rooms in the apartment. My aunt's boyfriend's screams could be heard from the ground floor; his repetitive phrase "I want my son" drowning out the car's complaining horns. I glanced at my grandmother inactive in the kitchen table, her teary-eyed face completely heartbreaking. Sitting on the wooden chair next to hers, I tried to show my support by taking hold of her feeble hand. When she felt my touch, she locked her eyes on my worried gaze and whispered: "Ori, life is complicated and keep in mind that there will never be a shortage of obstacles. Remember this: only do what satisfies you, and never settle for less." It was due to my grandmother's words that I decided to apply to UF.

From the time I was six, to when I turned 12, I had been living in Doral, Miami. My lifestyle during those 6 years was what I would call "The Good Life". My school was a leading institution in the district. My outstanding qualifications had earned me an award signed by George W. Bush recognizing my impressive dedication. I was enrolled in the soccer team and was constantly praised for my skills and commitment. In my art school, I had been chosen for a special program in which only the optimal pupils were admitted. Unfortunately, when the time came, I was given the news that we were to move back to Argentina.

I knew Argentina wasn't the country where I would reach my full potential, which is how I measure whether or not I am living "The Good Life". For me, the definition of the mentioned concept is to live life in its most thorough and complete manner, to provide the world with your best qualities and skills in order to improve not merely your lifestyle, but the lifestyle of others as well. Given Argentina's restricting economic policies and close-minded beliefs, such as the view of soccer as a men's sport, I felt constantly regulated.

The discussion I had with my grandmother that night was the missing push I needed in order to apply to UF. The University of Florida will doubtlessly provide me with all of the tools necessary in order to acquire my outright capability. Applying to UF is my way of declaring that I will not settle for less, I am destined to live "The Good Life".
De Angelis, you have not properly answered the prompt. The narrative that you presented was disjointed and did not really relate in any way, shape. or form to the main issue of the prompt which is to answer the question

How will your undergraduate experience at the University of Florida prepare you to live 'the good life'?

Your response should have totally related to your academic pursuits, social lifestyle, and student community experience that the University of Florida offers. Your story about the good life would only be relevant if it somehow related to the way that the University of Florida would prepare you to live "the good life". At this point, your essay is useless and cannot be used for the prompt. You need to write a new one that better considers and responds to the prompt requirements.

Home / Undergraduate / UF is my way of declaring that I will not settle for less, I am destined to live "The Good Life"