'a wealth of intuition and a cornucopia of stories' - Application Essay

N_Scorpion 1 / 1  
Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.

The holidays have always been a special time for my family. It's during these times that you have to appreciate those goofballs and all that they do. However, none of them made me sit down and think about the world we know as much as my Grandma, Theresa, did. She would bustle about, insisting upon perfection for the holidays. Shuffling around, checking oven temperatures, stirring the sauces, chatting with the elders, all the while making time to joke with the little ones...The usual grandmother-ly things. Even on the darkest of days she'd have an afternoon and an open ear for you, regardless of what she needed to do.

It was times like this, during these cold winter months, that could remind you of how fortunate you are for having the people you have. So there we sat, ready to feast on a magnificent meal. Grandma was still scurrying about, ever improving those warm delicacies and making sure everyone else was comfortable and happy. She'd then turn around and move onto some other task of importance, all the while keeping a smile on everyone's face. Even when faced with something new and different, she'd take it with a smile and embrace it warmly.

Despite never receiving a higher education, or striking it rich, she had a wealth of intuition and a cornucopia of stories under her belt. Her warm laughter would echo throughout the house and you couldn't help but feel good. It was amazing knowing that even though she had accomplished little formally, she'd accomplished much informally. All the while stressing the importance of an education. I hope that I have an ounce of the zest she has, even in her later years.

She was the sculptor to my clay, teaching me not just how to live in the world, but how to appreciate the world and see the beauty in everything. She showed me how to enjoy people's company and their presence. She showed me the importance of compassion and the power of kind words. She showed me how invaluable persistence and dedication are. She taught me that you need to take every opportunity that you can get, especially education. She taught me that sometimes, you just need to sit down and think.

Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks.
It was times like this, during these cold winter months, that could remind you of how fortunate you are for having the people you have. So there we sat, ready to feast on a magnificent meal. Grandma was still scurrying about, ever improving those warm delicacies and making sure everyone else was comfortable and happy. She'd then turn around and move onto some other task of importance, all the while keeping a smile on everyone's face. ---This belongs in the first paragraph, it's out of place here. Even when faced with something new and different, she'd take it with a smile and embrace it warmly.

Despite never receiving a higher education, ---No comma here.-- or striking it rich, she had a wealth of intuition and a cornucopia of stories under her belt.

It was amazing to know that even though she had accomplished little formally, she'd accomplished much informally, all the while stressing the importance of an education.

What a nice tribute to your grandmother! (I miss mine every day.) Good luck with school and have fun!

:)
OP N_Scorpion 1 / 1  
Thank you! I'll certainly try :D

Home / Undergraduate / 'a wealth of intuition and a cornucopia of stories' - Application Essay