Welcome to Ethiopia - Describe an experience of cultural difference or insensitivity..

HelenDr 1 / -  
Describe an experience of cultural difference or insensitivity you have had or observed. What did you learn from it? UW Admissions Essay
Do you think this would fit under the "Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their

application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story" essay topic if I just tweak it a little?

The piece of limp flat bread-injera as its called- lay crumbled between all five fingers. I stared at the unlively color of gray flat bread, and it stared back at me as if to say "in kwahn dehname tah" (Welcome to Ethiopia). I sit cross legged on the carpeted floor as my aunt serves rolled up injera pieces. She gives me a gap toothed smile as she pours a soupy mixture over my injera only to ignore my "tenish, tenish" (enough, enough). She quietly chuckles at my mispronunciation of a simple word and I blush in response, my embarrassment reminds me of my arrival two weeks before.

I arrived in Addis Ababa-the capital of Ethiopia - at 2:00am. I was greeted by a mob of people who all claimed to be "uncles" or "aunts". I awkwardly brought out my hand to shake the closest strangers hand but I was instead pulled into countless of hugs and side cheek kisses. I mimic their greeting shyly, not quite accustomed to such a great deal of physical contact. The onslaught of greetings came to an end as a tall, bear like man emerged from the mass of family members. He stepped directly in front of my dad and I, casting a shadow over our frozen bodies. My dad quickly whispered that this was my uncle in law. "Indeminesh. Denanish?" (How are you?) I uttered. His face wore a quizzical and impertinent air. I instantly realized two things: firstly, how informal my language was, and secondly I referred to my uncle as if he was a woman. I automatically apologized in English, expected to be scolded in Amharic for my foolish slip up. Instead I was faced with the laughter of my uncle in law who had found the silly American girl amusing.

My weeks in Ethiopia continued to be faced with various kinds of culture shocks. Both my mispronunciation of basic Amharic words and my light skin tone drew attention, but week by week I assimilated myself into the rich African culture. Not only was I taught how to speak formally with new acquaintances, but I was also taught the feminine and masculine versions of words. I learned the common greeting was three pecks on the cheek followed by a hug, instead of the common U.S. handshake that I had grown accustomed to. I also learned adapted to the food. Many spoonfuls of colorful "watts" ( dipping sauce) decorated the chipped porcelain plate. Each one was distinct in taste some ranging from mildly spicy to "my tongue hurts from the heat" spicy.

When deciding to go to Ethiopia I was honestly very close minded. I had no idea what the outcome would be going to another country. It was a new experience, and I was blindsided by culture clash. I was relearning the basis of a new culture, my culture, a place where my family had descended from. It gave me a fresh view of another culture that I was not quite accustomed to!

My family stares at me, the crumbled injera piece still in my hand. Their eyes flick from the injera to my unopened mouth. They wait there pleading bright eyes hopeful, waiting, as if eating what remains in my hand will make or break if I'm a true Ethiopian. I slowly raise my finger filled with the unappetizing gray of the injera and raise it to my slightly open mouth. I pop it in slowly, the messiness of the food making it harder not to leave stains on my clothing. My mouth is filled with a buffet of pepper, garlic and split pea. I smile in approval as my family claps.
smashcommonapp 2 / 10 2  
I'm not sure if this essay would fit that commonapp prompt because it describes a new experience that you opened yourself to not one that is 'central' to your personal identity. Great essay btw and I hope this helps. Would be grateful if you check out mine.

Home / Undergraduate / Welcome to Ethiopia - Describe an experience of cultural difference or insensitivity..