"Well, look at us"; Harvard Supplement_Letter to Roommate

haneom94 4 / 7 1  
I would greatly appreciate all help <3

Roomie,

Well, look at us - on our way to one of the most renowned school in the world... And here I am, casually listening to music like nothing happened. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of emotions going on right now. But it's difficult to say if I'm more anxious of the unknown or if I'm so excited for the possibilities of the future. Whichever it is, or if it's both, music seems to be the only thing that's able to express my emotions right now.

Currently, I keep on switching between the songs "Stop the Train" by John Mayer or "Taking Chances" by Celine Dion. One says to slow down and go back to what things used to be while the other urges me to keep on moving forward and take risks. For me, these two songs are coalescing in my mind right now. I can hear the notes merging and majors chords stretching to augmented and dissonant chords as I combine these songs together. The B-minor that transitions into D-major in "Taking Chances" would go great with the starting of the "Stop the Train"... But I'm getting carried away, like usual. Whenever I play music or even listen to a song that pleases my ears, I go in a different world - heads up, this is a forewarning before meeting me :) I love taking music apart and rebuilding it back up in my mind; it's something that has always made me happy and free.

Music makes sense to me, and I find refuge in playing and listening to music whenever I hit a wall or something I can't understand. This habit began from another big change that I experienced 10 years ago when I moved to the United States from Korea. Korea is located on the opposite end of the world, as you probably already know, and the people and the culture are... completely different than Americans and the American culture. The people were different (yellow hair and green eyes... what? Everyone looked like an alien.) and the language was awful here. I couldn't understand anything and so I retreated to the world of music. Before, I had only played the piano because my mom forced me to (typical Asian mothers) but then this skill became my biggest asset and friend in a foreign country. I could talk through music and others understood me.

As a pastor's kid, I've gone to nursing homes and hospitals where death and disease permeates the mood and atmosphere. But playing at these places have made me grateful for being here and having a talent to share. I'm able to help others through music, and I think that is an irreplaceable blessing. Seeing grandmothers shed tears of gratitude or reminiscence when I play for them is absolutely unforgettable, and I cannot help but feel deeply connected to everyone I play for. Music grows deep connections between people and society, and I've realized that it's a powerful tool in communicating with people.

I started to open up to people because of music, and I would be more scared than excited to meet you very soon if it wasn't for it. But as I'm listening to music and wondering which accompaniment of the left hand would go best with the melody, I have to say that I am way more ecstatic about meeting you than nervous. Very much so. I'm hoping you love music as dearly as I do, but even if you don't, it's okay. My love of music will be sufficient for the both of us. However, when we get a chance, I want to jam out with you whether you're musical or not - it doesn't matter. Music has a way of speaking to everyone in a personal way, and it can be our roomie-bonding time moments, along with many other things we both enjoy doing.

Thanks for listening to my words all the way through,
It really means a lot to me!

Much love,

Kelly
fwan17 3 / 11 1  
OK, here's what I would change.
one of the most renowned schools in the world
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of emotions within me right now, but it's difficult to say if I'm more anxious of the unknown or if I'm so excited about the possibilities of the future.

switching between the songs "Stop the Train" by John Mayer and "Taking Chances"
I enter a different world
the language was very different here. - Unless you actually meant that it was 'awful'. Maybe you wanted to say it was 'awfully hard to learn'?

But playing at these places has made me grateful for being here

Home / Undergraduate / "Well, look at us"; Harvard Supplement_Letter to Roommate