My whole life I've beaten the odds; Fsu essay

Alterdn 1 / -  
Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeals most to you, and why?

My whole life I've beaten the odds. Countless doctors said, "She won't make it." Yet here I am!

I was born prematurely at 26 weeks, weighing one pound and thirteen ounces. I didn't leave the hospital for 6 months; my temporary home was an incubator. After 10 days of life, my intestines perforated, doctors were extremely hesitant when considering life saving surgery due to the risks and complications involved, but it was my last hope. Thankfully, the surgery was performed, but when I was seven, I suffered a complication. I remember being at my pediatrician's office because I was sluggish and pale. After several blood tests, I was rushed to Miami Children's Hospital where I received immediate blood transfusions that once again, saved my life.

Receiving so much care has left an impact on me. The love and kindness of others has resonated with me over the years and has inspired me to give back through service. My purpose in life is to give back to others, the same way others have given to me.

In efforts toward my community, I have taken the initiative to do service. At the Humane Society of Greater Miami, my service included feeding, walking, and interacting with stray animals. It felt good to personally care for animals that needed my help. I learned about each breed, and put a name to the face. Fulfillment comes to mind when they were adopted to good homes. I also volunteered at Barry University's Feeding the Future program over the summer of my junior year. I assembled care packages with sandwiches and chips for the homeless. After taking a look at the lives of others, I realized that I don't want to take for granted the simple things in life after two opportunities at life. One of the most challenging but rewarding experiences I have had has been caring for my grandfather. He suffers from emphysema and is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. From doctor's appointments, giving him his medication, and basically caring for his every need, I have learned to be mature and to multitask and I learned a valuable lesson about service.

This is just a sample of the service I have performed. Each project has not only enabled me to help someone else, but also helped me grow. they allowed me to become a better person, and I encourage myself to do something, even a small thing, every day, to help someone in need.

Service has always been a part of me and will continue to be in the future. By being caring, hard working, and innovative, I can enrich the lives of others. I believe an FSU education can continue the impact I have already started. I believe in paying it forward, and hope to keep giving back throughout my life. I feel I can enhance my purpose in the world at Florida State University and advance my horizons the Seminole way.
jojony1 4 / 5  
YOU GO GIRL U CAPTURED ME RIGHT AWAY WITH THAT OPENING STATEMENT SHE WONT MAKE IT LOVE IT
- My whole life, I've beaten the odds.
- I was born prematurely at 26 weeks,
- I suffered a complication.
- ..the same way others havehas given to me.
- ...experiences I have had has been caring for my grandfather.
- I feel I can enhancelive up to my purpose in the
- world atwith the help of Florida State University..

There you have it, I hope my remarks help.

Home / Undergraduate / My whole life I've beaten the odds; Fsu essay