A woman interested in pursuing a career in biomedical engineering

annabelleboo1 1 / -  
Beyond rankings, location, and athletics, why are you interested in attending Georgia Tech?

Georgia Tech application essay

Background info: I'm an Asian female from Atlanta, GA, applying to GA Tech for the next fall semester. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to write about gender in my college application, so please help! I am also interested in undergraduate research opportunities, but it didn't sound very interesting to write about. Thanks in advance!

As a woman interested in pursuing a career in biomedical engineering, it is intimidating to dive head first into a male dominated industry. At other universities, they only advocate for women to join the field, but they do not provide the student with support throughout their tenure at the university. This is where Georgia Tech differs from all of my other university choices. The environment at Georgia Tech wholly encourages women to follow through with their interests in the STEM field with programs like the "Women in Engineering" program which allows female engineers the opportunity to empower other young women to follow their passions in engineering. The members also serve as a support group for one another which fortifies the confidence of female students in a field where we are often looked down upon.
TJLuschen - / 241 203  
Hi, I think it is fine to write about gender, especially since Georgia Tech's programs for female engineers are a main reason you are applying. I think for such a limited number of words (I think 100 max, right?) you are too wordy. You need to be concise and get to the point much sooner. Partially because of this, you really only mention one reason - the Women in Engineering program. I would definitely mention the undergrad research opportunities as well, and ideally, I would expect to see three solid reasons, so look for one more. Of course, to do this, you will definitely have to be much more economical with your words.
Annabel , remove the reference to being intimidated to enter into a male dominated field. Don't forget that one of the current educational thrusts in America at the moment is an increased enrollment of women in the STEM field. Therefore, there is no need to indicate being intimidated because you have the university and the government itself backing your desire to succeed in this area. Focus the essay on introducing your interest in the "Women in Engineering" program instead and the opportunities that will provide you. Then immediately refer to your excitement at the thought of joining an international research position at an international partner school. The co-op program is not as impressive as the first two reasons so I would skip that because of the general application of that program. Focus only on the STEM centered programs of the school as the reason for your choice. Maybe, you can indicate an interest to take a semester abroad with a specific partner university for a specific research you hope to undertake as an undergraduate. That sort of reference normally shows that you have done your research and you know exactly what you will be doing once you are accepted into the university as a student.

Home / Undergraduate / A woman interested in pursuing a career in biomedical engineering