I wondered how humans could prove their existence after reading the "brain-in-a-vat" - 'Why' Essay

zkc19 1 / 3  
How does the University of Chicago, as you know it now, satisfy your desire for a particular kind of learning, community, and future? Please address with some specificity your own wishes and how they relate to UChicago.

It's a cold day, yet University of Chicago students are discussing Kant at the bus station: a weird but common scene at Hyde Park. When a current UChicago student depicted it to me, I could not help but become fond of this school and its members, who explore passionately, think deeply, and argue actively.

I wondered how humans could prove their existence after reading the "brain-in-a-vat" theory, which holds that human thoughts are the results of a computer program. I was curious why the role of religion did not diminish despite of the scientific explanations for most phenomena. I pondered what it felt for a bat to be a bat. These issues seemed to have an ongoing series of arguments and I have tried but could not find a clear answer on either side. However, when I posed those questions to my classmates, they laughed them off as "worthless jokes". It was hard to find a community with such shared interests in my high school, which is why I was so excited when a UChicago student told me that he spent most of his time thinking. The opportunity to join an "incredible tradition of inquiry," as the recent Aim of Education speaker said, attracts thinkers like me to this community. It is a place where inquiry is the mainstream, where the eccentric yet scholarly thoughts that many ignore constitute the norm. The thoughtful air and the mindset of constant exploration attract me to UChicago. Courses such as "Philosophical Perspectives" would allow me to explore issues that I have long been curious about, for example the place of human beings in the world. I believe these discussions are able to bring me to a more profound way of thinking.

The numerous academic and research opportunities also intrigue me. I enjoyed reading Professor Lucas's book Recursive Methods in Economic Dynamics and the way he uses data and quantitative methods to illustrate his arguments. When I was a little girl, I could sense that the numbers on my parents' papers could not wait to communicate with me, but I didn't understand what they were saying. As time went by, I gradually became familiar with the language of numbers and Professor Lucas's book showed me much more. When numbers come together, they speak for the economic status of nations, stand for conditions of labor markets or anticipate business cycles. In addition to Professor Lucas's book, I was also impressed with Freakonomics written by Professor Levitt. His out-of-the-box approach in presenting information and linking sumo wrestlers to economic theories is said to permeate throughout the entire academic atmosphere at UChicago. As I learn more about other exciting UChicago projects, I hope for a closer interaction with these unconventional professors at UChicago and participation in similar research projects, in order to mold my own opinion and analysis together. I want to work on Professor Sonnenschein's project on social choices, connecting analysis of collective decisions with considerations of psychology, preferences, and social welfare, simply because the social influences on economic policy are fascinating to examine.

Although it is important to me, academia would not make up my whole life at UChicago. I envision myself participating in the annual Polar Bear Run with my costume, cheering for friends during the Humans vs. Zombies game, and enjoying the Summer Breeze events on the Main Quads. Given its unconventional academic opportunities and colorful days, the University of Chicago is an ideal place, and four years might actually not be enough.
Coco, this is an interesting essay from you. The problem is that I am not sure about how to go about analyzing the content and reviewing the way that you wrote it because you have not supplied us with the prompt for the essay. Before you post any essay in this forum, you need to let us know what question from the university you are trying to answer. The question you supply will be our guide in reading and commenting upon your essay draft. Please post the essay prompt as soon as you can for a more accurate review and comments regarding your essay. Don't get me wrong, the essay is good, we just need to make sure that the essay is properly written for the prompt the university is expecting you to answer.
OP zkc19 1 / 3  
Sry I totally forget it. Here is the prompt.

Coco, you have a very well developed essay that addressed the prompt in a highly detailed and articulate manner. Your decision to attend UChicago for academic reasons catches the attention of the reader quite well. I did notice a part in the essay that could be confusing to the reader though.

I could sense that the numbers on my parents' papers could not wait to communicate with me,

- What papers? This statement is unclear. Please expand upon it further.

I just have a very slight concern about the way that you wrote the social / student community aspect of the essay though. It is quite short and could really use some beefing up. You could do that by making some statements about you wish to make a contribution to the student community as well. This could be in the form of starting a new club or just being an active participant in the community activities. Develop it further to show that you plan on taking advantage of the well rounded education that the university offers.

Home / Undergraduate / I wondered how humans could prove their existence after reading the "brain-in-a-vat" - 'Why' Essay