Work of inspiring literature - Le Petit Prince - UVA

grillojes 6 / 17  
~Roughly 250 words
This is a rough draft of my essay and any revision, critique, and/or general help would be greatly admired.

I think I'm missing something at the end. I have around 25 words to elaborate a little more so any suggestions with what I should do at the end would be awesome.

Last year Madame Fields, my then French 4 teacher, announced we would be reading Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's novella Le Petit Prince. I looked at the cover, scoffed at the little boy depicted, and thought to myself "How can this book be taken seriously?" Imagine, an eleventh grade-student reading a picture book! The very first lesson the book taught me: the dangers of narrow-mindedness.

As I was finishing the book two days later, two weeks ahead of schedule, I realized that this book, though written nearly 70 years ago, had morals that still applied to us today - morals that would last forever. I was surprised at how what looked like a children's book could teach me so much about the world.

I learned that to understand something you have to experience it yourself. Only through introspection and real-world experiences can anything be comprehended, and to be truly reflective you must see things "out of the box" - through the eyes of a child and through your heart. This allows us to refocus our attention to the beauty that surrounds our everyday lives, instead of spending so much time on, what adults would deem, the "serious" things. By spending too much time on pragmatic matters we forget that we learn most from the world and from our relationships - the "links" we create and the love we encounter.

Tell me what you think! Thanks in advance!
shnethog 1 / 3  
It's tough to get your point across in 250 words, but you did so marvelously.
I'm curious as to what the prompt was though?
OP grillojes 6 / 17  
eek. If you can't tell what the prompt is just from reading the essay...well, that's not a good sign.

What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?

Thanks.
Unnecessarily complex:
Last year Madame Fields, my then French 4 teacher, announced ...

...see things "out of the box" ------The expression usually refers to "thinking" outside a box. Seeing things outside a box is good too, though! :-)

This allows enables us to ...

Nice! It is not surprising that the prompt was not obvious to a reader... but now that you disclosed the prompt, the essay seems like a great response.

Home / Undergraduate / Work of inspiring literature - Le Petit Prince - UVA