I had worked in a physician's office since I graduated high school / Common App.

foxyh 5 / 7 1  
PROMT: Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

I had worked in a physician's office since I graduated high school, which let me believe I was fully prepared what came next. Nevertheless, working in Labor and Delivery was a different world. To clarify, I thought as a registrar I would only be answering phones and greeting patients. Instead my shift consisted of answering call lights to communicate patient and staff, responding to emergencies by calling codes, and helping patients in labor prepare for their stay. At first I fumbled, at shock at both the quick reaction time and multitasking I needed to accomplish tasks while getting know a group of strangers. After a while my confidence grew, as well as my relationships with my co-workers. I began recognizing my weaknesses and strengths while growing to love interacting with our patients and helping in deliveries when I was needed. Consequently, I am thankful now for the challenges I conquered and people that I was able to meet while working at [hospital name ommitted].

*It feels a bit vague to me? Is there anything I should elaborate on or anything I should leave out!
nairbear68 6 / 29 6  
I think it would be more interesting if you described a specific experience and then elaborated on the effect this work has had. It will make for a better hook and will show the ac more than tell. Basically, describe a certain, specific challenge that you faced and let the committee feel what you were feeling and then how you overcame that :)

Please take a look at my what matters to you essay for stanford if you have time!

Home / Undergraduate / I had worked in a physician's office since I graduated high school / Common App.