(Working with seniors) Short Answer for Common Application

sunzml 3 / 4  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer, 1000 character maximum).

"It would be much better if you fold it in this way," I said when I was teaching the seniors to fold an origami crane. I've been involved with the Chinese senior community through my participation in a youth project called Intergeneration Bonding. This project offers me an opportunity to work with other high school students and organize monthly activities for seniors who live in Chinatown. Beside teaching seniors to make art crafts and cook food, I introduce them with the western cultures and holidays. In return, they share with me their experiences and life lessons. It helps me to realize that learning is a two-way process, and it works better with good communication. Moreover, in planning activities and coordinating other volunteers, I learned to be a creative, responsible and approachable leader in my school and community.

word count:137
"It would be much better if you fold it in this way," I said when I was teaching the seniors to fold an origami crane.

This is a great topic, and your methodical way of writing is very impressive, but this introduction could be a lot better. You could change that sentence so that it says anything you want it to say... something more interesting than "it would be much better if you..."

Here is one more little correction:
they shared with me ...

Home / Undergraduate / (Working with seniors) Short Answer for Common Application