Working for TSN as a broadcaster; Ryerson U - RTA School of Media Personal Essay

dynagen 1 / -  
Hey I am applying to the Radio and Television arts program at Ryerson University and I need a personal essay as well as a research based essay. Below is my personal essay I am in need of editing and any opinion on it would be very helpful. Thanks :)

Let me introduce myself my name is Bradley Reid and I am writing this essay to hopefully begin my journey to achieve my dreams. Throughout this essay I hope to show I am a worthy candidate for the RTA School of Media and the Radio and Television Arts program. I have not wanted anything more in my life and I have not seen myself doing anything else and attending Ryerson University I can achieve one of my many goals I set for myself and I will be on the right track to my dreams becoming a reality.

Five years after graduating I see myself in a broadcasting career preferably working for TSN in Toronto. Working for TSN as a broadcaster or analyst has been my dream career since I was in the seventh grade. As I mentioned above, I have not wanted anything more in my life and I have not seen myself doing anything else In my opinion attending Ryerson University and being in the RTA School of Media would provide me the best opportunity to achieve my goals. Not to mention many of the people I look up to in the broadcasting industry has graduated from Ryerson University including TSN anchor Jay Onrait and Hockey analyst and writer Bob McKenzie. Both men are the type of worker I aspire to be. As I just stated the program would provide me the best opportunity because I believe this is the best program in all of Canada for me to get into the broadcasting industry. How would I benefit the program? Well I would bring more passion then I feel any other candidate will. I have work hard to try and get into this program. If I get into this program my motivation to work will only increase I would put everything I have in order to succeed.

Throughout my tenure in secondary school I have done many things that could make me stand out as a candidate. This includes many courses that I feel will help prepare me for this program, including a lighting and sound course, and a communication technology course. I have also taken creative writing courses and am currently enrolled in a writer's craft course. Also for a semester in grade eleven I would give the morning announcements to my school. These courses helped prepare me for the RTA School of media in many ways. The lighting and sound course provided me with skills including how to use both a lighting and sound board efficiently. In the communication technology course, I learned how to efficiently use many programs including Audacity, Adobe Premiere and Adobe Photoshop. Many assignments in the course provided me with additional skills. These assignments include writing and recording an audio story, creating and adding sound effects and foley in a silent scene from the television show The Three Stooges. Also the final project for the class was to write, produce and record a thirty minute radio show. These assignments and the course in general taught me many skills that would aid me in the RTA School of Media. I feel my experience doing the morning announcements for my high school helps me stand out as a candidate. With this daily job I gained many skills and experience that I feel will help me in the program. My job of providing the announcements for my entire school gave me an added confidence and helped me develop skills in delivering news and speaking in general. I learned how to speak confidently and speak clearly. Taking all of these experiences into account, I feel I stand out as a candidate for the RTA School of Media.

Group work is nothing new to me. For the most part I work in groups daily and it usually a positive experience. But as one could expect it's not always a perfect experience. I play a high amount of team sports including baseball, soccer and ultimate frisbee. For all of these sports I usually play a large role but none more than in ultimate frisbee. On my ultimate team I am the captain. This role comes with a high amount of responsibility. As team captain I am looked upon to deal with both the on field and off field problems. These problems could be against the opposing team or they could be arguments my teammates have with each other. I am there to deal with these problems. I usually deal with these problems by talking through them with the ones causing the problems. I feel with compromise many problems can be overcame. I try to use compromise when dealing with problems off the field between teammates. On the field I am looked at to make majority of the decisions especially in the sport of ultimate frisbee as it is self-refereed. With the sport being self-refereed there has to be a lot of give and take between teams. Teams must be willing to compromise on many calls including fouls, whether a catch is made in bounds or even who gets the disc first. Dealing with many of these situations on almost every play can be a challenge on occasion. But through compromise they are solved quickly. Through all of the team sports I play but especially ultimate frisbee, I have gained leadership skills along with the skills needed to work in groups and how to solve problems that occur.

As I look at the many courses offered at the RTA School of Media there are a many that I have great interest in. The courses that interest me the most include BDC 955(Sports Broadcasting), BDC 984 (TV Broadcast Journalism), and both BDC 951(Broadcast Presentation I) and BDC 952(Broadcast Presentation II). BDC 955 peaks my interest more so than the others as I previously mentioned my dream job is to be a broadcaster for TSN, I feel the sports broadcasting course will help prepare me for a career in sports broadcasting. This course is the most important to me as it provides me with the skills that could help me get a job in sports broadcasting. The TV broadcast journalism course will help get me in my future career much like the sports broadcasting course but in a lesser extent. The major part of the course that intrigues my interests is the overall experience of the workshops, but mainly the broadcast news writing and reporting. I also enjoy the chance of have the wide range of roles and the experience of being in a newsroom setting. In my future I like to see myself as an on-screen personality and I feel both broadcast presentation I and II will help me develop the much needed skills to be able to be an on-screen personality. Starting with broadcast presentation I , I feel with the opportunity to gain on screen experience and to develop interview and co-hosting skills. The chance to experience a lecture from broadcast professionals is something I would look forward to. What interests me from the broadcast presentation II course is the chance to have a program producer as a mentor. With help from an actual professional I feel this course will give me great experience. I feel all of the courses I mentioned above will benefit me immensely.

Of the many non-media related course that are offered my top choices would be ENG 505(Creative writing), THA 100(Fundamentals of Tech I: acting) and the ACS 100(Ideas That Shape the World I) courses. All of these courses are all of interest to me and provide many benefits that will help me as I move forward. The creative writing course will help me improve my writing skills. I enjoy acting and will help me gain confidence in front of a camera. The Ideas that shape the world course will provide me with the skills to argue and defend my ideas whether it is during my time at the RTA School of Media or in my future career. Every course I have mentioned above will give me the best opportunity to succeed after my time at Ryerson.

Attending Ryerson University and being a student at the RTA School of Media will be the first step and a major one at that towards me achieving my dreams. I hope by attending Ryerson University I can follow in the footsteps of many great alumni of this program and this school. With the great courses offered at Ryerson, I feel I would be put in the best position to succeed by attending the university. I hope that I can achieve greatness in the field of broadcasting and if giving the chance I will show how far a person with passion can go. I can't promise much but what I can promise is that if I get accepted into the RTA School of Media I will work harder than I ever have in my life to achieve my goals and I won't stop until my dreams are realized.
Let me introduce myself;my name isI am Bradley Reid and I am writing this essay to hopefully begin my journey to achieve my dreams.

Throughout this essay I hope to show I am a worthy candidate for the RTA School of Media and the Radio and Television Arts program.

I think you don't have to mention this ... you should make them convinced that you a worthy candidate. So, I feel this line is not adding any value and therefore you can leave it out.

As I mentioned above, I have not wanted anything more in my life and I have not seen myself doing anything else In my opinion attending Ryerson University and being in the RTA School of Media would provide me the best opportunity to achieve my goals.

You write in a too desperate tone... You should show your keen interest, but I feel you better change the tone to a more confident candidate who's having a sound footing to follow this degree. Also avoid repetition too;

I always longed for attending Ryerson University in the RTA School of Media because I found my best fit there in pursuing my goal.

Home / Undergraduate / Working for TSN as a broadcaster; Ryerson U - RTA School of Media Personal Essay