'a world without automobiles' - Cornell Engineering Essay

banerjee_boy94 1 / 3  
Question: Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

I find it difficult to imagine a world without automobiles as my passion for them has grown exponentially since my adolescence. I refuse to extinguish my interest in the automotive field, however, the movement towards environmentally friendly technology threatens what once was the automobile industry. The days of high displacement V8 engines rumbling at red lights have been dismissed and a world of silent hybrids and electric cars has been ushered in by automobile manufacturers as a result of this movement. I too have joined the "green" movement because I believe the inefficiencies of yesterday's technology must be corrected for the betterment of the future; but, I do not believe this should mean the end of adrenaline rushing sports cars, but rather their advancement.

The primary dilemma with electric and hybrid vehicles is the batteries that power them are limited to a certain range. Although numerous advancements have been made to recharge these batteries, such as regenerative braking and the addition of small gasoline generators, the range that these automobiles can be driven on electric power alone is remains very limited. The introduction of DC generators on board these automobiles would dramatically increase the distance they could be driven on electric power. Considering most electric and hybrid vehicles are two wheel drive this leaves the other two wheels as prime candidates to turn a generator. The two non-driving wheels would connect to the generator via two shafts, each connecting the two wheels to one side of the generator. While the vehicle is driven, the non-driving wheels would rotate shafts which then rotate conductor inside the generator. The rotation of the conductor will begin to induce emf's because the conductor is cutting the magnetic flux created by the magnets in the generator as it spins. This idea can be further improved by employing smaller diameter wheels to turn the generator, thereby increasing the revolutions the conductor is rotated per minute and the amount of electric current that is produced.

Since DC generators would increase the range electric and electric hybrid automobiles could be driven solely on electric power, larger electric motors could be used to power electric and electric hybrid vehicles. These larger electric motors would merit performance gains, such as increased acceleration and top speed, and allow automobiles powered by electricity to become competitive with performance vehicles powered by internal combustion gasoline engines.

With the myriad of opportunities available at Cornell University, I will undoubtedly be able to further explore the idea of using generators to recharge the batteries of electric and electric hybrid vehicles. The SiIbley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering offers the conceptual knowledge required to make my idea come to life and the numerous competitions Cornell participates in allow real world application of that knowledge. Whether the next FSAE Cornell race car is electric or the next Cornell X-Prize winner attains 200+ mile per gallon, Cornell is indeed the perfect setting for me to acquire a wealth of ideas and synthesize them with those of others.

My friend suggested adding this quote at the end of it, but I wanted to get an opinion whether or not I should include the quote.------> As Freeman Thomas said,"Good design begins with honesty, asks tough questions, comes from collaboration and from trusting your intuition."

Also I'd appreciate a rating 1-10, but I appreciate any advice or comment given. thanks
Eigenvector 4 / 11  
Adrenaline rushing sports cars sounds a bit awkward, maybe try adrenaline rush inducing?

It feels a bit like you're trying to drag Cornell in at the end there, I might try to work it in earlier. Also, explain what FSAE is.

I would include the quote at the end, it does a good job imho of tying everything together and closing.
OP banerjee_boy94 1 / 3  
thanks, i like the screen name lol.

if i do include the quote, ill need to cut 20 words so it will be at the 500 word limit.
soufianelaouad 3 / 29  
ask yourself if anybody else can write this essay if not you succeeded

other than that, Amazing Work !
I am a high school student who wants to pursue Electrical or mechanical engineering at Purdue Next year.
Please look at the Last essay I just posted its about engineering and my future at purdue
thank you

Home / Undergraduate / 'a world without automobiles' - Cornell Engineering Essay