"where world leaders are not fighting over resources and power" - Lehigh supplement

nabil 3 / 3  
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CRITICIZE AND SHARE YOUR OPINION :)

1. People face challenges every day. Some make decisions that force them beyond their comfort levels. Maybe you have a political, social or cultural viewpoint that is not shared by the rest of your school, family or community. Did you find the courage to create a better opportunity for yourself or others? Were you able to find the voice to stand up for something you passionately supported? How did you persevere when the odds were against you?

Answer

I believe in globalism, in putting the fate of mankind before that of a single nation. Now I absolutely love my country, my people and our culture. But I think political boundaries created by world leaders are just about the biggest setbacks in humanity's growth, and all countries would be making more progress if they could forget their acquisitive wants and work together.

In my country, three millions martyrs shed their blood in a liberation war thirty-nine years ago, and the 'your-country-is-everything' spirit is still very much alive. Hence, my views are shared by few. Nationalism stands strong. And I am not talking about people being hardcore fans of their country's sports teams; I am referring to the kind of nationalism where most people are disgusted by the traditions of their neighboring nations. I brought up my opinions in my tenth grade Commerce class once, and the general response was one of downright reproach. "Our own country has enough problems to worry about." they said. Exactly the kind of attitude responsible for the troubles between different nations.

I dream of a better tomorrow where world leaders are not fighting over resources and power, where warfare and famine are things of the past. As an eighteen-year-old just out of high school I probably cannot make a difference alone, but waiting on the world to change will not help either. So what I do is spread my message to anyone willing to listen, hoping that someday there will be enough people like me, for us to rise above the system and cause changes.
In my country, three million martyrs shed their blood in a liberation war, thirty-nine years ago, and...

Exactly the kind of attitude responsible for the troubles between different nations.---So true!

As an eighteen-year-old just out of high school, I probably cannot make a difference alone, but waiting for the world to change will not help either.

... people like me, for us to rise above the system and cause changes. ---how do you feel about 'facilitate change'? Not necessary, I just liked the sound of it.

This is a good essay, well written and interesting. Good luck in school and have fun!:)
OP nabil 3 / 3  
Thanks for the review Susan! hope Lehigh University likes it too lol =)

Home / Undergraduate / "where world leaders are not fighting over resources and power" - Lehigh supplement