The world needs engineers that can and will change it for the better. Chemical engineering statement

mzani 1 / -  
hi , can u review my essay ?
thanks.

Why Chemical engineering?

The world needs engineers that can and will change it for the better. Today, as growing global demands, protecting and saving our environment is what really intrigues me. I want to study Chemical Engineering because of its extremely important role in our society, especially across a variety of industries such as petrochemicals and environmental technology. It is a multipurpose subject that provides a special opportunity to be associated with the progress and the making of a wide range of products.

Another reason of why I choose to study Chemical Engineering is that it subsumes mathematics and chemistry, those two subjects have sharpened my methodical thinking and logical problem solving skills. Besides, they complement each other in a perfect way and the idea of studying them together is so appealing that I have chosen to follow chemical engineering as a future career path. Hard work and determination is what comes to mind when reflecting back on my time studying these subjects. Though I am no genius in mathematics, I perceive this field of study to be a trustworthy provider of truth and logical thinking.

During my secondary level education I equipped myself with the basic knowledge of the subjects in order to understand the advanced concepts. To do so, I had to supplement my classroom education with information from the Internet, the library and many other sources. This way, I equipped with the basic courses like organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry and physical chemistry.

Also, I have participated in several extra-curricular activities centered in and out of school. I have dedicated many hours in many clubs and organizations such as "environment friends" at middle school. This club was an eye opening for me on what is happening in the world, a world full of global warming, war and depleting resources. Being a member of this club helped me to "think outside the box". In addition, I have learned is that there can be multiple solutions to any single problem; this is something that every Chemical Engineer should keep in mind.

In 2016 I have participated in an international competition called "Destination Imagination", but unfortunately our team didn't make it to the top 3. This experience didn't stop me from auditioning for the same competition this year. Because I have been taught all my life, that if you want something you must go out and get it no matter how high the wall, the shot will still be worth the climb. Participating in these extra-curricular activities taught me valuable skills that can only be learned beyond a classroom. Determination, time management, responsibility, communication and team work are examples of the skills I have developed through my extra-curricular experiences.

I have explored my interest for science and engineering by attending several events at Texas A&M Qatar and Hamad bin Khalifa University by being a member of the PSP (Promising Students Program) in HBKU. This program has helped me to prepare for university by giving lectures and courses, which was very fruitful to me.

Engineers are often faced with dilemmas, but I will not give up easily on matters I attend to. I enjoy taking challenges and I will experience many difficult situations. By doing this, I could hone courage. I want to undermine fears and take a complex path that I strongly believe that will lead me to a life of greater meaning. I have enjoyed my time at school and now I look forward to the challenges that I will face by hopefully enrolling in Texas A&M University.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
It is unfortunate that "The world needs engineers that can and will change it for the better." is not supposed to be like that. What do you mean by "it"? This is the first sentence and it seems like the word 'it' refers to nothing. Perhaps, the more appropriate sentence would be like this "The world needs engineers that are able to change the world for a better future." and "Today, as growing global demands, protecting and saving our environment is what really intrigues are the matters that really intrigue me." Also, instead of saying "I want to study...." which is too mainstream, why don't you try to paraphrase them. It can be "Studying in Chemical Engineering will ........ because ........", "Chemical Engineering holds an important role in the society and therefore, I have a dream to study......." or many other possibilities to paraphrase your "cliché" sentence.

You need to know that the first paragraph is the most essential part since it will determine the first impression for the readers/selection committees. Thus, you are suggested to avoid making any mistakes since the very beginning part of your essay if you want to impress them. You can probably write a catchy-hook to make them interested in reading your essay further.

Hope this helps :)
Mezna, only the first 2 paragraphs of your essay are worth including in this "Why" essay. The rest of the information that you present is best saved for other common app prompt requirements that may require such information. So keep only the first 2 paragraphs of your essay for this topic. What is missing in this essay is a personal motivating factor that pushed you to focus on Chemical Engineering as your college major. The opening paragraph does its job in setting the tone for the essay and the second paragraph works well as the reason behind the choice. All you need now is to explain why you were motivated to choose this course. The elements you presented in the opening statement are widely known facts and sentiments. So these cannot be considered a personal motivating factor. Those are merely the basic reasons why one would choose to enter this profession. Try to indicate a motivating factor that best represents your desire to help your country in this field. What is the problem or situation of Chemical Engineering in your country? Is there a problem that can best be resolved by a highly trained expert in this field? What is your objective (for yourself and your country) for studying this course? Try to go beyond the obvious. Look into your personal reasons and present a very good reason for choosing this college major, one that tells the reviewer that you will actually be able to complete this course and not switch majors once you are already enrolled.

Home / Undergraduate / The world needs engineers that can and will change it for the better. Chemical engineering statement