Can you write a good essay without using a personal anecdote?

keilinger 9 / 53  
I'm stuck on this topic:
Why are you drawn to the academic fields you indicated in the Anticipated Degree and Academic Interest questions above?

Generally, I've explained my answers with personal anecdotes, but the deadlines are drawing close and I am feeling completely uninspired. Anyhow, what do you think? Are anecdotes essential?
yiazmat1000 - / 1  
Anecdotes aren't essential for all essays, but based on your prompt, it would be a really good idea to use some anecdotes. As you may know, they add a crucial dimension to your personality and provide concrete (unless you lie) evidence for your essays. Think back, to why you enjoy pursuing that particular interest. If you are undecided, maybe you can describe some reasons why you haven't found "your calling" or maybe why you may love every subject.

Other than anecdotes, you can try simple generic descriptions,like "I wanted to pursue biomedical engineering because when my uncle had a pacemaker implanted into him, I became fascinated by the complex machinery involved in correcting irregular heart beats."

I hope this somewhat helps you and inspires you for your essay!
OP keilinger 9 / 53  
Hey, yiazmat!

I've declared a psychology major, but I've no ideas on how to make my essay interesting to read. I've thought about reflecting on how the coolest book in my house used to be a book of optical illusions, and how I had been fascinated that they were able to make me believe things that I knew to be wrong. But it seems silly to say I want to major in psychology because I like optical illusions.

A more realistic reason would be that psychology ties all disciplines together, answering the most basic questions of human existence. It explains why people do the things they do - who wouldn't find that interesting? I can't very well give them a definition of psychology to explain why I like it, though. :P
snorlaxative 4 / 17  
Talk about the book! Even if it's a small portion of your essay, if it was what initially got you thinking about cognition (pun intended)you should include it somewhere in your essay, but make a lot out of a little here. Making a small moment appear to be what led to a profound revelation always leads to a good read.

Home / Undergraduate / Can you write a good essay without using a personal anecdote?