How to write a personal essay for Ryerson's Radio and Television Program

Chikoyam 1 / -  
I am applying for Ryerson's Radio and Television program and it's been a while since I've written a personal essay. I'm worried about the structure and how the essay should flow.

The questions I must include in my essay are where do I see myself 5 years after the program, what have I done inside and outside of the school that makes me a good candidate, how do I work with others and of all the courses the program offers, which one am I most interested in. The essay is 1500 words.

If I could please be given an idea of how I can start a good thesis, or at least how it should sound and how I can flow it with my body paragraphs, that would be great.

Thank you!
gbee 3 / 3  
you can start by describing your ultimate goal, what you've done so far, what ryerson's can do for you, and what you can do for ryerson's.
where do I see myself 5 years after the program, what have I done inside and outside of the school that makes me a good candidate, how do I work with others and of all the courses the program offers, which one am I most interested in

Write a one-sentence answer for each of these, and see what COMMON THEME runs through all of them. In order to write with good structure, you need to have a topic sentence for each part of the prompt, and each topic sentence must be related to a central theme. That is how to make it so that the whole essay says one big thing by saying several smaller things.

This is a 5 page essay, so you need more than a paragraph for each part of this. You need 2 to 3 paragraphs for each part, and every paragraph has to have a clear topic sentence.

:-) This will end up being about 13 paragraphs plus an intro para and a conclusion para for a total of 15 paragraphs. That = 14 good topic sentences and one excellent "hook" at the beginning of the first para to get the reader's attention.

:-) I hope that gets you started!!

Home / Undergraduate / How to write a personal essay for Ryerson's Radio and Television Program