"Writing to escape"- Common App Prompt

namuvior 1 / -  

Common App essay

Prompt(s):
Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time or Essay on any topic of your choice

(unsure which one it fits)

I definitely need to add more stuff but I'm not sure what

The end credits just ended. I stare at the black screen in front of me. My cursor flickered in and out of existence as I processed the episode trying to produce the next line. This had been going on for hours at this point; borrowing characters from the show and weaving them into a new story. I can't help but feel like the episode I just watched was more than an episode. The characters and storyline have stuck with me and now I can't stop thinking about them. I began to imagine what their lives might be like outside of their show. All the adventures and misadventures they've had and how they turned out. What would it be like if these characters were real? Wouldn't that be amazing? I think to myself as I start to type another story about these characters that I only just met hours ago. My imagination runs wild feeling as if I'm sitting at a table with a pen writing down the story that I've just witnessed.

The first time I started to write this way, I thought it was ridiculous. Why was I so attached to people I'd never met? But there was something about having an outlet to create different realities and explore familiar characters without the fear of judgment. I write and write. I found peace.

For me, writing stories about the media I watch is a way to escape reality. It is a chance to lose myself in a world where anything is possible, where I can be anyone and do anything. It is a chance to step into the shoes of my favorite characters and experience the world through their eyes.

I wish I could explain how these characters made me realize that I should not be afraid of myself. That I do not need to hide behind a mask or wear someone else's shoes. How the process of writing and rewriting these stories has opened doors and allowed me to see things in a new light. But at the time, I was unable to express all these thoughts and emotions. Instead, I turned to one of the things I knew best: storytelling. So, I wrote and wrote. I wrote until my hands hurt and my eyes were tired.

But as I start to write, I realize that there is more to it than just escaping reality. I am using these characters to express myself, to explore my own thoughts and feelings. I would take on the characteristics of a character and use them to express myself in a way that feels comfortable and authentic. Changing the routine wouldn't hurt was something I thought that day I opened a Google Doc and started the wild ride I could not get off.

Through my writing, I have learned to embrace my own unique perspective and express myself without fear of judgment. I have learned to celebrate my quirks and imperfections and to use my writing to connect with others who may be struggling with similar feelings of isolation and disconnection.

So, as I continue to write and create, I am reminded that the stories that I love and the characters that I admire are more than just a way to escape reality. They are a way for me to find my own voice no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. And in doing so, I have come to realize that the media that I consume is not just a source of entertainment, but a source of inspiration and self-discovery. So, I write to express myself, with no judgment. My peace.
The way you approached this writing and what it reflects of your personal character, insights, and hobbies lead me to believe that it will be better suited to an open prompt presentation. It does not really focus on how you lose track of time. Rather, it shows the learning experience you encounter by developing fan fiction stories. A guilty pleasure that notall people, let alone college bound students would admit to. So bravo for putting yourself out there.

I do not think that you need to add more detail to this. It just needs to be revised, edited, and finalized. You do not want to write too much that the excitement the letter creates could turn to boredom. Work with this version instead.

Home / Undergraduate / "Writing to escape"- Common App Prompt