My writing, my music, my self-expression - Transfer Statement! (Emerson College)

jaimarec 2 / 3  
Q: Please provide a statement (250 words minimum) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.

R: Creating, and then communicating-this is what I love, and this is what I want to master. Outside of school, I produce music, I write an opinionated blog and I work to get it across to an audience. My writing has stirred up emotion and response in its readers, maybe now my cynics or admirers. My sound has drawn in artists and unexpected acknowledgement. These are my passions. I want these passions to grow with me into a prosperous future. At Emerson College, I would seek to have my expressive prowess bolstered into a goal-driven undertaking. My unyielding, creative ideology can be broadened, questioned and honed best by Emerson College while still receiving an influx of interdisciplinary knowledge.

For the past two years at American University I majored in Audio Production. And although their program has help mold my technical understanding of recording music, I feel limited. The emotional and behavioral connection that can be made from creator to audience can be more than audio technology: also sound design in film and live, theater mixing, readily available in Emersons' Media Arts. And through the ProArts Consortium, I plan to continue music production studies at Berklee. While keeping my focus on audio if attending Emerson, I hope to learn the technical aspects of all media art so that it becomes easier to free my imagination into tangible work.

Your department of Writing, Literature and Publishing greatly appeals to me because of its creative depth, covering everything from magazine writing to screenwriting and beyond. Because of my vigor to write opinionative and observational blog pieces as a hobby, I lust to learn amongst a professionally motivated Emerson, writing community sharing the common goal of excelling in the study and development of literature. And because part of the department's tradition is to "reshape ourselves according to our best designs," as Chair Daniel Tobin puts it, I am even more compelled to study under Emerson's professors, as this statement encompasses the way in which I strive to live, day to day.

My passion for writing and media arts lead me to believe that communicating these messages may be the most vital component to a successful future. Thus my inevitable interest in Emerson's School of Communication. Whether wanting to write Op-Ed's for the Berkeley Beacon or learn how to build a website to exhibit my writing or creative work, SCOM is essential to a complete, academic experience with its accomplished professors and a focus on dealing with one's professional career.

In currently being absorbed in my writing, my music and ultimately in self-expression, a school that heavily illuminates an education in the arts and communication without straying from a comprehensive, liberal arts program seems to be most befitting in stimulating my academic and personal growth. Emerson College's mission to bring innovation and depth to the arts and communication impeccably matches my aspiration to become a leader in expression.
mjk249 2 / 4  
I loved your essay!
It's so well written and easy to read.

But did you mean to write this sentence in a present tense? "My passion for writing and media arts lead me to believe that communicating these messages may be the most vital component to a successful future."

Then I think it should be "My passion for writing and media arts leads." If you are using a past tense, that verb should be "led." :)

Good luck!
You write very well! Here is a sentence that could be improved, though:
Outside of school, I produce music, write an opinionated blog, and I work to get my ideas across to an audience.
This way, it sounds clearer.

Thus my inevitable interest in Emerson's School of Communication. -- In this sentence, I think you are using thus the way people sometimes use hence. Could it be hence that you were trying to use? As it is here, the sentence is incomplete.

You could do this: Thus, it was inevitable that I would be drawn to Emerson's School of Communication.

:-)
OP jaimarec 2 / 3  
Yes. Thank you, Kevin. I love the way this sounds.

Home / Undergraduate / My writing, my music, my self-expression - Transfer Statement! (Emerson College)