Yale Supplement Answers--clever or whatever?

mchehn 1 / 5  
I'm at a loss of how to write for Yale's supplement...I'd really appreciate some help!

What in particular about Yale has influenced your decision to apply? Please limit your response to the space provided. (500 char)
On a campus tour of Yale, the guide introduced us to Yale's student life. This instantly caught my attention, since not only is my high school seriously lacking in the school spirit department, I also had never heard of such a housing system at any other college (though the guide compared it to the Hogwarts' Houses). Besides this, I am encouraged by the academic attitude at Yale. "Shopping" for classes will remind me to be open and curious about other pursuits besides my current major interest.

These are 25-word responses:
1. What would you do with a free afternoon tomorrow?
I would like to spend time with friends, but seeing as I lack very many good ones, I'd be more likely to create. Just create. (well, I'm not so sure about stating that I don't have many good friends, but....yeah does this answer make sense?)

2. Recall a compliment you received that you especially value. What was it? From whom did it come?
My friend often tells me I look like a lion. (does this work? Am I supposed to explain why I especially value it?)

3. If you could witness one moment in history, what would it be and why?
I choose the Wright Brother's first flight. The wonder at the 200-foot flight at the time shows how much people take for granted today.

4. What do you wish you were better at being or doing?
I wish I was better at being less spontaneous. One example is speaking before thinking, which often has repercussions. (Is this too negative?)

5. If you were choosing students to form a Yale class, what question would you ask here that we have not?
Write a haiku about Yale.
collegesearcher 3 / 20  
I suppose you could do a lot more with the first topic. Yes it's a little negative, and I guess college people are actually looking out for cheerful bubbly people. Not that it isn't brought out in your fourth answer; being spontaneous is a good thing. So try to include that in the first topic. Hanging out with friends and being creative can intertwine, as in, you can say that with a team of friends, you would like to cook a batch of chocolate chip cookies, see what I mean?

Also, the second response is left hanging in mid-air. You look like a lion. So? I mean, what about the fact made you feel like you've been complimented? So yes, explaining *with mysterious undertones, to add to the drama* would make a world of difference.

Good luck :)
marielnl94 1 / 19  
I feel collegesearcher is right.
I think you could add who nicknamed you "lion" or why. Most of nicknames are product of a funny situation with friends or family.

Just like collegesearcher said, your first answer is a little dark. Yes, you may enjoy being on your own but just like collegesearcher said, what do you create? Haven't you created anything with one or two friends? maybe saying you have one or two great friends is more positive and you're saying the exact same thing.

I don't think saying "being less spontaneous" is negative, but you could say "more reflective". It is sort of the same thing but it sounds better to me, like you want to improve and not decrease an ability of yours.

Hope it helps :)
OP mchehn 1 / 5  
Thanks! Revised:

I would create. I'd gather a host of people and run around town taking photographs, or plan out a film. We'd film water.

My friend often tells me I look like a lion. He says it in a way that means, "You're strong. You're fierce. You're proud."

I wish I could be more contemplative. It's easy to be spontaneous and quick of tongue, but perhaps I could flourish more if I reflected more.

Write a haiku about Yale.

Also, is there any feedback on the response to the "Why Yale" question? Thanks again.
marielnl94 1 / 19  
I love how you fixed you answer to question number four. Now it sounds mature and as a sign of improvement. Congrats!
I think the "Why Yale?" question is fine, but I will read it again later on to see if you could add more spice to it.

Good job!
nicolehardy87 2 / 9  
Hello! You might want to be more specific when you say "write a Haiku about Yale." Maybe write a haiku about why you want to go to Yale? or maybe something along the lines of write a haiku about what you would do at Yale if you were accepted? I think that would provide a clearer and answer and yield a clearer response. :) good luck! I wish you the best.
OP mchehn 1 / 5  
Thank you all for your help! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Yale Supplement Answers--clever or whatever?