Yale: Your choice essay. "My Gift"

lololololol3434 2 / 3  
Prompt: You have already told us about yourself in the Common Application, with its list of activities, the Short Answer, and the Personal Essay. While we leave the topic of your second essay entirely up to you, try telling us something about yourself that you believe we cannot learn elsewhere in your application. Please limit yourself to fewer than 500 words.

My Gift

"Can you put these shapes together for me?" the lady asked. "Sure" I respond with a sigh. I thought to myself, "I'm pulled out of recess to put some shapes together and press a couple of buttons? Why am I doing this? Is it because I talk too much? Does every fourth grader go through this? Is something wrong with me?"

To clarify, the aforementioned tests are some of the many neuropsychological tests used to determine if an individual has ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. When my parents received the results of this testing a few weeks later, I was diagnosed with ADHD. It was then that many absurd events from my early school days such as receiving a "timeout" on the first day of kindergarten, a task that seems near impossible, began to make sense. Looking beyond that day of tests though, I am glad I was pulled out of recess. If I had not been tested, I would not have been able to get to where I am today because my diagnosis of ADHD has allowed me to understand and accept myself but more importantly, it has allowed me to become aware of the gift I possess.

Now despite ADHD being a gift, it has also been somewhat of a curse at times. I would be lying if I said my life has been smooth sailing since I received my diagnosis and that I hadn't thought about taking my own life a couple of times. My struggles with different medication combinations and dosages, the unpleasant side effects, as well as the terrible depression and anxiety disorder that coincides with my ADHD has been a rough road for me. But if given the choice to remove ADHD, I would without a doubt choose to keep it.

The reason for this choice is that these aforementioned details are not what I truly care about or what immediately come to mind when I think of ADHD. Instead, I think of the wonderful personal qualities that ADHD characterized me to be. I think of the unlimited energy I have to use for good, the endless smile I possess for a downcast individual, how I'm willing to try anything, how I never hold grudges, how I'm sensitive, loving, warm-hearted and understanding, how I'm crazy, outgoing, and downright spontaneous. These are just a few of the endless attributes that ADHD has constituted me to be and I would not trade them for the world. With this gift of ADHD, I am able to do vast amounts of good, whether it be giving a gloomy person a hug without being asked, giving my coat to a homeless man on the street or simply providing job security to the makers of spell check. ADHD is my gift I can give to the world.

I'm strugging with this essay. Any help to make it better?

I need help with coming up with a conclusion. Any ideas? Also grammar, ideas, anything I can do to make this essay any better. Thanks
"Now I could, and most people do, elaborate on more specific examples of the trials I've faced but to me, these details are not the important ones." Funny, you added this at the point in the essay where I was getting ready to write that you should elaborate on more specific examples of the trials you've faced. I still think you should do that, rather than saying that you know its expected, but that you aren't going to.

In that vein, you should probably elaborate on the examples you give about how ADHD has been a positive effect on your life.
angel101 1 / 16  
maybe you can give more detail about how you started the ebay account and why you did it
"Instead, I think of the wonderful personal qualities that ADHD characterized me to be" Try "Instead, I think of the wonderful personal qualities that ADHD has cultivated in me" or some such instead. Otherwise, I think your new draft is much stronger. Good job.

Home / Undergraduate / Yale: Your choice essay. "My Gift"